About new patch

Home Forums Mystera Discussion About new patch

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Goblin

New ‘Lock’ item will allow you to secure your item stacks from thieves and invaders. Only a random 10% of the secured items can be looted by enemies per day. This way you can recover most of your valuable stuff even if you are killed and robbed. Build with gold, silver, and copper.

Something to use copper for that is not to make bronze! That sounds good. I’m okay with that. Though it’s kinda shitty that the siege process is considerably a long and grindy progress and you would now be able to only take 10% of the loot. Seems like a weird mechanic to counteract thieves. Maybe adding a new skill to lockpick said locks with a chance of success would be a nice counter. But erm… Well, and it takes gold. Gold is extremely rare nowadays with the changes. But maybe there is a change to that? (*eyes at UW changes*)I feel dubious about this patch now… let’s drop down Excitement level a couple of notches.

Oh look… a positive comment, while expressing a concern about the repercussions of said change

I was going to continue with these posts, but Jopah made post, and I really don’t want to interrupt the flow. I think I already made my point. And thanks Jopah for the shoutout.

Polar Bear

How very “damage control” of you… I am sorry but I don’t do fake. We are mostly done… Like with all things I give myself time to think it through but back peddling doesn’t work for me. You were rude as all hell to the most active members of your game… the main one being MY HUSBAND. It shows your true colors and for that reason alone you are seeing the less pleasant side of me. You said what you said and you cant change that no matter how much you attempt change your tone. You can brag on how much “positive feedback” you are getting in private but it doesn’t change the fact that dropping numbers don’t lie. Hey, if the numbers are going down because of us… well lets just say it wont be a problem for long.

Goblin

Quick response before I go to bed, I’ll read everything, I promise! I just want to clear up that I never said bugs were used to kill Robin! I actually was talking about Rin with the logging in-off attacking, since I wasn’t even there for Robin’s death. Logged on afterwards and found out from Nefer lol.

When I bring up Robin, I mean he reported the bug after he died. It’s closed now, yippie, that’s all I meant!

And I said only new npcs, traps and clubbing are unarguably good things! Ambivalent on dungeon earthquakes (the new infinite layout) and shield changes because yeah, as Sephi puts it, I’m completely not here to experience it.

Be back to check tomorrow!

Polar Bear

He reported the bug before he died… since it was fixed before this update. At least if its the one I am thinking about, I only knew of one.I misunderstood what you said it seems… or well it read funny. Anyways have fun reading.

Wolf

Suggestions must be covered by thoughts, expressions and references. I don’t want to say “I need this, that, these, those. Make this, make that.” I’m not a kid, but a racional being, and I want to have arguments protecting my words. If game devs don’t have a time or desire to read it closely, then what else I can say? Having such a loyal player base and treating them like shit… By shit I mean keeping most of time silent and not wiling to hear every single word that we speaking. And why the heck Ivana is only person who responds to us on forums? Everyone wants to hear some words from JVH, not to play in Broken Phone with Ivana. Maybe you don’t meant to do it, but most part of FL thinks that you just treated them like angry stupid haters. Even I see in your words a dozen of hypocrisy. Let him out from luring code and bring him on forums. We have issues, he must give us answers.

Yet, I’m clearly see that JVH reads players suggestions and does right things. Well… not all of them are right. But his silent makes me angry. Very angry. Especially when he sent Ivana to deal with community. She tried her best, but it all ended by angering the whole FL. That must teach her something.

And yes. I’ll make a different opinion, Ivana. Special for you. I’ll break your base into dust-like shit with VERY POSITIVE threatenings.

Skeleton

I think I have quite different sentiment in respect to other people. Basically I think that the world and PVP have been made less threatening, while I would like them to be more threatening.

What I don’t get is people complaining over the fact that things change value. It is to be expected. If gold become rarer, people who have accrued it will have a relative advantage. If tomorrow gold is mined at 100x speed those who have accrued it would have done a pointless activity. If shield block becomes only 50% effective people will complain, but if it becomes 200% effective they won’t. It’s a beta, things will change, and investing in resources or skills or whatever is risky.

Dust and assassin experience amounts have been adjusted relative to the new penalties.

Seems reasonable, that’s because by dying multiple times to level 0 you would get a lot more dust and assassin with old algorythm.

Exploration experience is only granted when you explore areas you haven’t been to recently.

More fun

Armor can’t be equipped or unequipped if you have been in combat recently. You can still drop armor to unequip quickly.
    When you visit an unexplored floor in the underworld it will automatically generate and start populating it with monsters and objects based on the depth. Every floor has an expiration of 1 week before it is reset by an ‘earthquake’.
    Traps are a new dungeon feature. Shard traps will be placed randomly on some floors.
    Hole traps are invisible until you fall in them. They take you to the next floor down and give you a few seconds of invincibility.
    Gold rocks and other types can be mined in the underworld now.

More fun

The point of my post is that we joined the game when it had certain rules, but we must take in account that they will change. Also whether a change is for the more or less fun depends strongly on what are your expectations of the game.

Goblin

Great new patch, btw. Thanks on behalf of all low-level players.
    And yes, oldovir, dear, stop the scribomania and learn to express yourself more clearly. We’ve wanted to say this for the last 4 of your posts.

Polar Bear

More people talking yay! Granted they are also people who don’t actively play but at least Rin was super active at one point.

Ritnil I see your points, I do. However, not every gamer is like me (enjoying grind) or like you (enjoying thrill)… we are both very chaotic. If a game is too easy people get bored… too hard people quit. My problem is that players will quit within a few days if not hrs, even with help. Those that don’t? They don’t stand a chance at competing against us. The gold thing? We aren’t saying “unfair” because we want or need more, in our TRIBE stock we have 5000+ and I personally have 420. In one night of mining our tribe(with our high level miners and spiffy gear) mined out like 400 gold. So in no way are we complaining because we are salty about the change. I’ll say it in a way people can see it without reading my blocks of text The changes don’t hurt high levels! If anything it makes us more unattainable. I firmly agree there is more balancing left to do and I would have loved to help with it. But my perspective isn’t wanted.

Barn, I have spoken to quite a few low levels in the recent patches, in game and out. They do not ALL share your opinions. It’s best to only speak on your behalf. But again, like with native, it’s easy to speak positive when you don’t actually test the game out as a whole. Unlike native, I feel you are just speaking solely to counter Odovir because you are salty.

I will say that after seeing SPK’s test run the changes don’t seem sooooooo bad. However, SPK’s account is slightly older than Jopahs and therefore he hardly counts as a “new player” perspective. Having had the advantages of know what mobs did what… that’s not something easily explained through text.

Skeleton

If a game is too easy people get bored… too hard people quit.

Yep, a game can’t please everyone, it either satisfies the easy segment or the hard segment. So I think that a part of people quitting short after starting is organical; they just belong to the set of people to which the game is not targetted.

Obviously I would rather the game target my standards rather than other ones. It’s not an expectation.

But my perspective isn’t wanted.

I don’t know what is the standard with today gaming, but I don’t like that the developer has too much contact with players. The possibility of suggesting ideas to the developer takes something off of the game experience, because it makes us live it on a meta level. I think the most enjoyful attitude would be to just play the game as it is. It’s not healthy that players argue about the direction the game is taking, et cetera.

As you can see, I do this a lot myself. It’s not a prescriptive observation, it is a descriptive one.

For example the change in looting and death penalties will have an effect on the way people engage in PVP. I could argue that they will be less conservative: after you have a lock, getting killed and robbed will not be a big deal. We could spend a lot of time thinking how this change will affect people actions in game, but it’s not really our job, we don’t have to see all the consequences, we are playing the game, not developing it.

The changes don’t hurt high levels! If anything it makes us more unattainable.

Let’s say the developer decides to change experience rates to 1% the current rates. It likely won’t happen, but I would enjoy it. Obviously a side effect is that people who have invested in levels will have a lot of advantage because they took them while it was easier. At the same time of enacting this change, the developer could take away eveyone’s levels in a proportional way; this would be a good way to equalize, but people will probably complain.

They don’t stand a chance at competing against us. […]

The changes don’t hurt high levels! If anything it makes us more unattainable.

I think I argued in /b that as far as I can see the game has a balance issue with powerful players, which, at the current state and as far as I know, is the Frost Legion. Here powerful is intended in a very broad and all-compassing meaning: levels, shelter, combat prowess, knowledge of game mechanics, contacts, materials, and there are probably other aspects too. I don’t think its healthy for game balance that it is even possible that there be a group of players who could basically do whatever they wanted. Jopah pointed out that you used part of the power to help new players, and that is exactly the point: there is a group of player for whom the world is so innocuous that they can afford the leisure of spending a considerable amount of resources in community projects. You have so much power that you don’t know what to do with it. You beated the game.

The open-ended dungeon is open ended, so in theory it could be an infinite challenge.

Polar Bear

I am not gonna block quote you. I only did it to Ivana because I cared to answer her point by point, in a way she could clearly see it. I still doubt she read it all.

I am not asking for EVERYONE to be pleased. But it does seem that JVH and Ivana want player retention and the way they are going about it isn’t working.

As for our perceptive, clearly you don’t understand the game you are playing. It is in development, we are here to give input. At least that’s how it was explained to me when Jopah started playing. And it is what WAS being asked of us. If this were an established game like WOW or something then yeah super arrogant to expect suggestions to be implemented. However, I would like to point out that I did not say I needed anything done, simply that it is not easy on low levels to catch up and they should think about that when making adjustments. If you think its meta to suggest things in a game that is requesting it then maybe rethink the game you are playing.

You quoted me twice and said two different things and I dont feel like discussion FL’s Power anymore than I already have. But it seems like you are contradicting Ivanas request with your point… we shouldnt help new players? We know we beat the game… we beat the game months ago. To be completely honest Jopah beat the game by simply creating his character. Not because he was granted xp boost or unfair advantages he is just uber like that. Even with the changes he has died to 0 and still made it to top 20 in a few days. Not being vain… its just a fact. He and many in FL enjoy the aspects of helping new players, which is why Ivanas words cut deep and hit the wrong nerves.

Infinite dungeon sounds interesting, this is why I was so excited for the patch. However those who have tried it say it is boring, and it takes a lot to bore my husband. I dont know the low level aspect, so I plan to test it out before quitting.

Kaylovespie

Lvl 2 London
    Skeleton

The forum rules should be up now. Sorry, I know they are long overdue. Every good forum needs some moderation now and then. I believe people should be free to express their opinion without being attacked and discredited so much.

I’m happy to see you guys speaking up. I don’t want that to be derailed or discouraged. This is a warning to read over the forum rules and be respectful. I won’t hesitate to hand out a short suspension if anyone needs time to cool off.

Goblin

Im pretty sure 90% is mostly quitting game cause of the fact that you cant do anything about your death early. If my log off = character not on the map I would play for sure, otherwise game is no go. You cant punish players for having to log out

Tried game.
    Got harassed by snakes while trying to complete basic crappy starter quests constantly.
    Eventually a bug made it so I couldn’t move while to snakes ate me alive and I died.
    Quit – done.

I thought the game was fun, but I have a problem with locking yourself in a house when you log off, only to wake up dead.
    I feel the game is a bit too punishing PVP wise on new players too. Maybe make it where if you’re over a certain level you get no drops from killing noobs?

Not really cherrypicking. Those seem to be new player experiences. I get that.

Short list: old players chased away by feeling punished for playing with the implementation of a level based exp nerf.

Game is not intuitive enough, nor interesting enough to keep new players without the crowd supporting them.

My issue is the lack of, and poor communication, and lack of focus on the new player experience. Make the user interface more intuitive (more buttons, pop out menus, fewer / commands). Make the experience more rewarding.

People macroed because you move so slow be default. There is no way to improve speed. Add boots for a foot slot that increase speed instead of exploration imo. Don’t nerf accessories by adding it into that slot.

New players are fucked by the current inventory system because inventory space is so limited. Move everything equipped to its own spot away from general inventory.

Bugs like attacking through walls were used because of bland, time consuming methods (attack wall with sword or hammer) are the only way to break bases atm. Add dragon scales into the mix? Well, you get the picture. Expand options on attacking occupied buildings. Make it so walls currently under attack can only be repaired 1% while taking damage.

People do things for a reason. Communicate proactivly as opposed to this shadow ops shit with the next crop that moves through, and misunderstandings like this won’t happen.

Polar Bear

Rules are long overdue. I think rules on hate speech should be added before bug abuse but thats just me. As for the forum rules, I was attacked personally and it sucked… I think how I was attacked was harsher than anything dished out here. I really don’t care what caused the rules to be implemented because they were needed. I will say that I, personally, have never killed or threatened someone for disagreeing with me. And I haven’t seen FL do so either. At most I requested that we just don’t speak for a time and then moved on.

Not trying to derail the conversation but you spoke about it in here so I assume it is ok to respond.

Polar Bear

Hello all! I’m not a veteran player, but I’m not a newer player either. I’ve been playing the game for about a a month or so. A really good friend of mine Robin recruited me to play the game.

The first day I started playing the game, I learned how unforgiving it can actually be. I was killed by another player just a couple of hours outside my my own house I just built. I wouldn’t even have known to build a house if Robin hadn’t taught me that I needed to do so or I’d die from wildlife etc. I feel like this information should be readily available for players when they start. Maybe an intro short video?

About a week later I learned that you get an extreme exp nerf after level 50 that only continues to get worse to prevent players from using macros. This is a TERRIBLE idea! It only discourages players from doing…. anything. Why do I want to spend a week or two gathering resources when it will make my character weaker in the Underworld in the long run because I cannot fight off monsters?

Why not have an experience decline for each individual skill themselves? Decreasing all experience for everything at 50+ seems like a pretty steep nerf. From my experience, games that have such harsh experience penalties, eventually die off due to lack of interest from players.

Kaylovespie

Lvl 2 London
    Skeleton

Thanks Apollo! I know JVH has talked about the new player experience recently, he made the quest system for that reason and wants to improve on it more to help guide newbies. I know the experience changes were talked about a lot in the past and it’s also a big misconception that it was to deal with macroing. He and the testers were solving several problems with a couple different formulas and he was really happy with the trends in the database afterwards. Someone did the math in game and it is not as punishing as it appears, I wish I could put it better. He tried explaining it to me but it is really complicated lol. Though everything is subject to change of course – we are still in alpha basically, and he is crunching numbers all the time with his testers so we appreciate the feedback 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘About new patch’ is closed to new replies.