Infamy promotes low level griefers and prevents anyone from stopping them

Home Forums Mystera Discussion Infamy promotes low level griefers and prevents anyone from stopping them

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Wolf

Seriously, how do you stop something like this. Someone can go into a server with a low level alt and just fuck shit up and no one can do anything about it.. Why? Because no one wants a 3 hour debuff. Please tweak this. I still don’t see a benefit of infamy. It just destroys the game. There is even a player going around with an alt in other servers and racking up peoples’ infamy and there isn’t too much anyone can do about it.
    P l e a s e
    F i x

I still don’t get why this is even in the game. Why is there pvp if you’re going to be severely punished for doing it. If you don’t want players to pvp then just remove it please.

Polar Bear

Admin needs to acknowledge this. It is a major issue in every server right now and will only get worse if this system stays in the game.

A player named TrunksGt placed a large number of walls on the main road of the EU server earlier today. He has turned the entire market entrance into a mess.

TrunksGt griefing chatlogs

This player is toxic, and anyone who dares to confront him is put out of action for hours of playtime. Playing with infamy is not enjoyable. You are forced to train weapon skills on dummies for hours before putting yourself at risk in the Underworld or Catacombs. The system is easy to game, in favor of the aggressor. Your “silent majority” wants extra protection – they don’t want this. That much is clear based on the in-depth discussions I’ve had with new and experienced players on all three servers.

To remind myself how broken this system really is, when I get infamy on my main I like to set him up training dummies and then log on to USE or USW, attacking people in market and manipulating the system to give them massive amounts of infamy for killing my level 5 character straight out of newbie village or getting them killed by market towers for retaliating.

exploiting infamy

exploiting infamy

Let me reiterate: when players complained about new players being killed, this is not what they had in mind as a solution.

Please revert the change until a system has been devised that does not protect griefers or make PvP intolerable.

Wolf

Honestly, @admin, you need to do something. I haven’t really played the game since I discovered just how bad infamy was, and it continues to prove that.

People will leave. Myself included. I know you said there was a “silent majority” but the *supporter minority* is pretty pissed off. You need to make decisive changes.

Turtle

I agree here. The infamy as it is punishes all kinds of pvp and raidind. Even thought thats not my playstyle, its an important asset of the game, part of the gameplay freedom (which is something amazing about this game).
    I think should be only a pk system, the skull one, like Tibia. A player attacks another gets a skull, the more he attacks, more time with it. Players with skulls can be attacked without penalties. Maybe even some penalties to pk’s, like not being able to do some stuff (although could be too harsh).
    The thing with OP players killing newbies works out for itself, just look ate USE server.

RobinHood

Lvl 95 USEast
    Polar Bear

Just out curiosity, how does having infamy allow a low level player to place walls on the road or all over your market any easier than before?

I mean its as simple as creating an alt, giving him a little stone and clay, and dropping walls wherever, people have been doing it since the beginning. Killing toxic players has never curbed their behavior, so I don’t see how it’s suddenly a problem that you can’t kill them for free.

Honestly, it seems to me like most of the griefing is coming from players who’re just mad about the change.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by  RobinHood.

Wolf

Sorry, mate, but you’re just wrong.

Sure, low levels could place walls before, and where breaking them was annoying – I didn’t gain infamy. So now I’m gaining infamy for breaking the walls, the low level shows up placing more walls, so I kill him.

By the time all is done, I have 3-5 hours of infamy where I can either walk around and die, or go stand in my base and weapon train for five hours instead of playing. Sounds fun.

You know what sounds like more fun? Playing something else.

RobinHood

Lvl 95 USEast
    Polar Bear

Oh man, you thought breaking walls gives you infamy? Nah, in fact, what you’re describing about the newbie coming back and placing more walls sounds like a fun little game of whack-a-mole. Better to leave him alive and just kill his walls while they are ultra-weakened in the first five minutes for free resources. I guess you got outsmarted by the newbie that time, but you can learn from your mistakes.

Admin

Lvl 5 USWest
    Goblin

Thanks for your report Krill, I can see all the servers from a top down view and I see what you describe a little differently. That’s not to say there are still numbers that need adjusting – if you have noticed I have been testing patches every day. I work on changes during my free time after my normal job so I can only do so many tests and changes per day.

Let me use your examples and give you some numbers in the current state of things.

TrunksGT built a small house on the road that is not completely blocking but unsightly and cracked. Currently there is no penalty to reverse troll him and near instantly destroy his blocks within 5 minutes of being built.

If he managed to collect those resources and get an entire house built with no one using the main road in that time then he deserves a successful troll, and he stated that this is revenge for abuse – in a sandbox his play style and reasons are as valid as anyone elses. The end result of these types of trolls ends up bringing the community together, and I see the exact thing happening on EU now.

He is about level 20. Several people are online around his level so one of them can get the last hit which is basically penalty free. There are also a number of people level 40 or below on the server so lets take 20 level difference for calculating the penalty of killing him. That would be about 30 minutes or 15 gold to pay at maximum. That can easily be pooled or donated from higher levels, at even greater level differences.

Here’s another option – There are 2 altars in Deep Cave (B3) which wont move if you donate to them. You can build 2 sets of stairs from Galebrook down to one of those altars and establish an infamy reduction shrine there. Pool gold from the community and you have now invented your own bounty system for putting out hit jobs on annoying players. Since there is a cap on infamy you could fund a complete newbie genocide if needed. With a little innovation you can solve many problems, and that’s part of the fun of a sandbox game.

Now as for your trolling other servers to try to give infamy – people have done that for years, in the original game Mystera Legends it was always good for a laugh. Seeing as starmort16 is level 6 and you were level 6 it wouldn’t cause for much infamy but you still managed a kill. The noctis one is better at around 20 level difference, even if he justified the 30 minutes debuff.

As for the people complaining they can’t defend themselves against dreaded newbies that isn’t true. If you get attacked even once then they get infamy, and you can kill them for free. It’s even worse for them if they are around Market Square because of the towers. Killing their blocks doesn’t give infamy either.

From my top down perspective it seems like some people have had some legitimate complaints about numbers, which is fair as this balancing takes time. Some other people don’t understand they can pay off infamy at an altar or defend themselves after being attacked – that’s okay they will discover that. Then there are a group of people who were used to killing whoever they wanted for whatever reason they chose, and now that they have to think twice about it they want things changed. I hear that, but there are still a significant amount of voices on the other side, many of which don’t post publicly because they don’t want to be targeted. At the end of the day my experiments show that player retention goes up. I know not everyone will be happy, but I will keep balancing so the greatest number of people will be happy.

If you have specific concerns about the numbers, or a special scenario you think needs to be looked at then feel free to send me a pm or contact submission and it will reach me sooner than a forum post will.

Wolf

That player Trunk is a Rucoyian. There are many many more just like him. They are not looking for a good gaming experience. I respect Evil. I can respect a killer.. But these type of players only play to ensure other players do not have a good experience.

I warned about not being able to be half themepark and half sandbox in my initial post in the tower thread. There are too many sandbox elements in game that are easily exploited. ADMIN you can write code enough to fill the Lincoln Library sir and never stop these griefers. Not possible.

You could make full power GMs. With muting and banning and killing privileges, destruction abilities.. Physically in game. Just need players with integrity IE adults. and set down rule sets on when they can use their powers. You have dedicated people. Works in EVE has since release. UO had them too.

You can’t do it alone. I’ve seen you take swift action but you can’t be every where at once. You need to dev your game not babysit servers. Infamy removes our ability too stop them without heavy price to our own game play.

Cheers, gl

Wolf

Well, since @admin‘s response is pretty much “suck it up” I guess I’ll find something else to play.

Wolf

P.S. Admin, you could learn a lot from EVE Online. Penalties that can span hours and make people not want to play are a terrible idea, and a horrible development choice.

Even outlaw flags go away in minutes.

Niconicolas

Lvl 56 SEAsia2
    Polar Bear

do you really expect us to pay 15 gold to kill a griefer 1 time when they can respawn all they want

Wolf

To give a perfect example of why this flawed, broken system doesn’t work – a level 10 just aggro’d me and was hitting me repeatedly. He had infamy. I turned, after taking a good few hits, and pasted him.

Welcome to 10K Infamy. Or, in other words, six hours of weapon training while I wait for it to go away.

He had infamy. For attacking me. Yet, when I kill him, I take a massive penalty even though he’s a wanker.

Good game. Such fun. Wow.

Goblin

FLAWED! I see it like this if youre so willing to protect trolls and low levels and say “its a sandbox their reason is valid” then this infamy system is NOT NEEDED because as a sandbox u should NOT be punished for killing someone. and “many players around level20 are online” those low levels are new and will not tarnish their name for sake of the community being trolled. And (Community should pitch together to get rid of bounty….) ok so people who actually getting trolled pitch in ur eyes for someone to get their infamy gone than 5mins later they have to kill same person…another community pitchin is required …over and over and over…do you seriously think gold is that easy to require for numerous infany alter donations. Your answer is NO you do not give enough gold from mining to balance this out (considering mining is ONLY way to recieve gold) It takes sometimes 30mins for ONE GOLD with high mining add up 15 people thats a total of 450mins total to gather said gold…. no one wants to play just to mine gold to pay an alter thats ridiculous waste of time.as a sandbox people set their own goals to achieve taking away that time gives no need to want to play just to pay bounties. You are protecting trolls and not people who actually SUPPORT your game with REAL MONEY or with dedication of time which is just as valuable as moneh. And your whole “get the nub to last hit…FLAWED have you actually tried to last hit something ever when multiple people with diff damage values attack the same target it is VERY difficult to pull that off. This does not bring a community together it frustrates the higher levels who actually stay to play your game making many good friends in community already quit your game so you have now lost money for your game because ONLY players who actually stay to play pay or have dedicated countless hours, not no random troll accounts.

Now you say if they attack you first you dont get penalized…FLAWED.. a troll doesnt have to attack anyone to troll simply blocking roads is enough for a troll how are you gona get a troll to attack you first when their troll is to block roads not kill people so you can NEVER use that feature if they dont attack first which is the key word of the day….FLAWED.

Now you say the original game had this issue so its fine…FLAWED i have never seen more then 100people in East server want to know why… because people QUIT because of these..FLAWS!.

Next …Flaw..if u saying “oh he built on main road people shoulda took advantage my 5minute build rule” bring east server most people have same time zone…most your community have jobs have kids or have school or even just a life. Some troll can simply login at 4am eastern time when normal people sleep and succesfully troll while your main players who stay to play are sleeping. Are you seriously suggesting we will have to play server body guard down main roads taking shifts just to prevent road blockers which dont attack people so cant be killed for low infamy penalty…heres that word.. FLAWED.

Your whole “this is revenge for abuse” is flawed trolls find the most ridiculous ways to claim they been abused. Many people are kindly asked to move their base and go off like a 2 yr old who got their lolipop taken away. Or just because rude words were used they cry and claim abuse. When in fact they were simply asked to move their base over slightly. Or they respond with cruel words so they get talked back how they decide respond and suddenly its a foul language war.

Now you say “i hear many complaints from community about trolls” but you do not claim you hear many complaints from the trolls meaning they dont care and want to troll. So why help the troll when they simply dont care and take advantage of your….dundundunnn FLAWED SYSTEM. Your community who actually play will ALWAYS outweigh those who get butthurt and take advantage of your system to troll. How do you plan to have a large community when your more frequent players are being punished. Look at your numbers and youll see these trolls dont play for significant amount of days and quit after a while. But your higher levels stay waayyy longer. Giving your game popularity which in return benefits you more because simple reasons more frequent players mean more population which in end more supporters to help YOU create your game.

In the end simply removing this FLAWED system will result in your long term players returning and trolls leaving much earlier which in the end makes the game much more enjoyable.

I can keep going on about this but my wife wants me to stop typinf and play YOUR game so i shall continue this another time.

Tiggz out *peace out sign* *drops mic*

Goblin

Oh forgot to tag @admin read above please.

Sinceriously your friendly neighborhood SpideyTiggz.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Infamy promotes low level griefers and prevents anyone from stopping them’ is closed to new replies.