Full loot pls

Home Forums Mystera Discussion Full loot pls

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Penguin

What changed? Is current not-hardcoreness a temporary fluke?

Polar Bear

Skill loss on death was significantly reduced, full loot was removed, locks were added (before anything on the ground was fair game), and I believe experience gain has been increased by a significant amount overall as well.

In general, death was a really big deal. Dying in the underworld meant you had to organize a group to recover your items quickly, or you lost them. Dying to another player always meant losing all your items, and if they killed you in your sleep they probably raided your base as well and stole absolutely everything. And obviously you lost around 60% of all your skill levels on death, so it represented a huge loss of time no matter how it happened.

It sounds very brutal, and it was, but because no one wanted to die it provided a huge incentive to learn to coexist with those around you and solve issues without conflict. Diplomacy was absolutely crucial, and the game ended up mirroring real life to a significant degree. There was actually a very serious conversation at one point about whether the community should organize a justice system that would formulate a set of community guidelines and arbitrate over cases of players breaking those guidelines, and about who should be responsible for enforcing that arbitration. There was also a great deal of concern over consolidation of power within the community, particularly within FL, who were, at the time, the most powerful tribe by a large margin. “FL justice” was a term that got thrown around a lot.

It was honestly a really complex dynamic that you really don’t see in any other games. Eve online is the closest thing, and the playerbase is so huge in comparison that it honestly isn’t at all the same. I haven’t played recently at all, so maybe it hasn’t changed much, but with death penalties all but erased I find it hard to believe the community will ever be that tight-knit again.

Turtle

i agree. i started playing in october because i heard it was a hardcore open pvp game. i like some excitement.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Full loot pls’ is closed to new replies.