Defensive design

Home Forums Mystera Discussion Defensive design

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Skeleton

I think the building design is rather unexplored due to some reason, for example the fact that a war is not sustainable for more than a very short time. I feel we have not seen even a try at optimal play. The new rules (partial drop, lesser level loss, and locks), while being less hardcore, could change the attitude towards war.

I think this design could be useful in lessening damage upon death-in-sleep.

O = walls
    U = doors

OUOUOUO
    O O O O
    OUOUOUO
    O O O O
    OUOUOUO
    O O O O
    OUOUOUO
    O O O O
    OUOUOUO

This is a little sketch and the design should be repeated many more times. You would leave different stacks of items in each room and sleep in another. the purpose is to discourage taking everything.

The design can be changed by having some walls be double or even triple ones. Having triple walls won’t hinder repairing if you place doors in a smart fashion.

I don’t know how locks work but I guess they could be put inside each room.

I would like to point out that a counter to locks is the attacker simply building his own walls around your building. That could be seen as crossing an unwritten line. How to counter this counter is left as an exercise to the reader.

Goblin

Building a wooden palisade around the outside of a building is standard procedure when raiding a considerable structure. doing a similar thing to the underworld is also very standard.

Goblin

Related to the topic, I was wondering why people don’t dump their items on top of personal gates and then build a ton of personal gates for storage. It should effectively do what you’re trying to do with that layered design with less space/walls, as far as I know.

Anyone know why it doesn’t work/why we don’t see it often?

Goblin

Cost, it is done in some bases with valuables, and often done with arrow towers ammo

Goblin

Also, if I were to suggest a change to this design, I would suggest shifting the intersections of each column by 1 space up or down so that at most, you only have intersections that head in 3 directions as opposed to 4 directions.

This allows you to repair the intersecting blocks.

+edit: Or hm, do blocks completely surrounded by other blocks not decay? I assumed they decay.

Goblin

All blocks decay, some faster than others. Blocks not connected by two or more others have a much faster decay rate

Penguin

if u build gate on floored title and drop item in, gate will not decay at all

Kaylovespie

Lvl 2 London
    Skeleton

Oh, that was fixed a while back

Skeleton

Also, if I were to suggest a change to this design, I would suggest shifting the intersections of each column by 1 space up or down so that at most, you only have intersections that head in 3 directions as opposed to 4 directions.

This allows you to repair the intersecting blocks.

With the present design you can repair all walls, some of them while standing on doors.

One should think whether the shifted design makes you more or less vulnerable, especially if there are 3 or more attackers.

Goblin

Oh yeah, you’re right, I’m dumb.

The shifted design does add more blocks to get “between” rooms, but because hammers hit 3 horizontally and 1 forward, it doesn’t actually make a meaningful difference.

Skeleton

The shifted design does add more blocks to get “between” rooms, but because hammers hit 3 horizontally and 1 forward, it doesn’t actually make a meaningful difference.

I ran a brief simulation of a 3-person attack against both layouts in my head and I still suspect that the non-shifted one would resist better. Try to track the order in which they would attack and the walls would yield.

Anyway, maybe the layout could be like this

C = basic unit
    _ = nothing

__C__
    _CCC_
    CCCCC
    _CCC_
    __C__

Insead of this

CCC
    CCC
    CCC

RobinHood

Lvl 95 USEast
    Polar Bear

Here’s a fun video of how to fail at defensive design:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8B7QSuBUCmlUWdNSy1kSnM1bWc/view?usp=sharing

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by  RobinHood.

Skeleton

I guess that Rirth should have considered that area as outside, and stayed inside of the castle.

Goblin

View post on imgur.com

Heres a good one on how not to build your base

Goblin

Well that was smart

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Defensive design’ is closed to new replies.