[Suggestion] A few suggestions for inventory management.

Home Forums Mystera Discussion [Suggestion] A few suggestions for inventory management.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Wolf

So inventory management, especially in dungeons, is a pain. One dungeon rock has a loot table that can fill a naked person’s inventory, let alone someone carrying a full set of gear.

So some kind of inventory booster would be nice. I got a few ways that it could be implemented.

Option 1: Backpack/Bags. A staple of MMOs, your bags. It also gives knitting another use, the better your knitting the better your bags. Either a certain knitting level required to craft better bags, or make when a bag gets +1 that it gets an extra slot. It would obviously be an incredibly expensive thing to craft, something like 50 thread 10 silver 1 gold 2 of each dye for the most basic bag seems fair to me.

Or maybe specific types of bags. Mining bags that hold only mining goodies, tailoring bags that carry only tailoring goodies, farmer bags that carry seeds and crops.

Option 2: Currency tab. A currency tab for silver/gold/gems.

Option 3: Equipped items don’t take up inventory space. (Credit to Robin Hood on this idea, even though I also would’ve thought of it eventually!)

Skeleton

I don’t do it for the sake of being a contrarian, but really, I raise my hand againt this. The game world at present is innocuous enough, no need to make it easier.

My usual point in /b is “well, at this point then let’s have people start at level 100”. I’ve been told that it is a strawman. It isn’t totally.

To me is no difference if you make the world easier by having more inventory space, starting with a compass instead of berries, giving more experience, having last words, having a less steep difficulty increase in dungeon levels, having less losses upon death, or starting at level 100. Starting at level 100 would be exaggerated in respect to the other ones, ok, but its still numbers in a hypothetical functions, the output of which is the innocuousness of the game world.

Turtle

also believe that we need for bag for gems

Polar Bear

Just because its hard dosent mean it needs to get easy. hard things make it challenging thus interesting. Its not easy to collect gems but thats how it is, thats what makes them special. Adding this will only make the dungeon system a solo system. Its far more interesting to have a companion to hold all gems. If you raid a base with bunch of stuff… why dear lord would someone take it all in one go. Its more interesting when its harder.

These things happen in all games, start as being hard and fun then end up being easy and dull. some ppl constantly want things to be easier not knowing the bad effects it brings. Developers eventually fall to their demands, eventually.

i must say Option 2 is interesting, then again free will (no rules) is always better.

”starting with a compass instead of berries”
    This. a huge help for new players. but only for new players, not respawns.

So to finalyze:
    Make the game better and smooth (lag free dungeon, more stuff) than making it easy altogether. By doing so the game gets ritcher.

Goblin

Make the game better and smooth (lag free dungeon, more stuff) than making it easy altogether. By doing so the game gets ritcher.

That should always be a priority!

There are ways to make the experience better without “giving it all away” (someone in /b mentioned this the other day) or following the “level 100 path” (as Rin said).

To quote from previous suggestions I emailed JVH:

nventory
    o […] a bag/box for the inventory could be useful for Underworld trips. It does not need to be a bag that carries everything, but maybe something by category or restricted to only certain categories.
     Example: Jeweler’s Box. Even a 2 slot bag that carries only gems will greatly help with UW trips. It can potentially reduce from 10 slots for gems to 5 slots, while still requiring players to plan ahead since space still remains limited.

I mean… we have fire pits, daggers, armor, we can farm, knit, and, even, smelt! Somehow Mysteran technology hasn’t developed far enough for bags or chests!

Polar Bear

How about a minecart; a woden box with wheels that you move with yourself. click space to hold and move. But i repeat it will make the gem collecting thing easy. they will lose on value… but the fact that you can collect them a lot will make the enchanting thing more possible.

So… to make things interesting… moving such cart is dangerous since anyone can take/steal it from you. gives an interesting segment to it. Minecart pirats are born.

I am still against game simplifications since i think its detrimental for the game itself.

Penguin

I mean… we have fire pits, daggers, armor, we can farm, knit, and, even, smelt! Somehow Mysteran technology hasn’t developed far enough for bags or chests!

The iventory is really abstract, for example you can have thousands of stone but you cant have too many items of different kinds. I would say that it can be seen as implied that charachters have some means to carry all that stuff — notwithsanding it’s very abstracted.

How about a minecart; […]

I am still against game simplifications since i think its detrimental for the game itself.

Good. A minecart can still be added whilst leaving the difficulty inaltered, for example taking away 3 inventory slots from everyone and adding the possibility to build an impractical minecart that holds 6 items. There could be some new skill involved, Minecart Driving.

Penguin

I’m another alternative account of Rin Excel

Polar Bear

You can easily fit all ten gems along with gear in your inventory. Weapon, pickaxe, armor, accessories, compass, lantern, food, then all the gems. You lose out on other drops, aloe, and potentially a shield, but that’s the cost of trying to carry it all yourself.

Wolf

A bag for gems – it would be really nice! Same goes for equipped items – they shouldn’t take up inventory space, because it’s ridiculous. The game is really needs a classic RPG inventory system with slots for equipment and, perpahs, slot for bag. For example: the Character has some default slots for general items and standard bag that gives extra slots. You can replace standard bag by advanced one, for general items, or by special one, for gems or other stuff.

Its not easy to collect gems but thats how it is, thats what makes them special. Adding this will only make the dungeon system a solo system. Its far more interesting to have a companion to hold all gems.

^ Seems like this person never was in dungeon with party. But I was. And I can say one thing about carrying gems by multiple persons – It’s a pure bullguano. Do you ever seen a carousel? You’ll see it when you’ll try to mine gems in dungeons with your companions. Yeah, something like this: A LOT of fun

Polar Bear

Odovir was in the dungeon with a party… amazing, you are special. What am i compared to this godlike mancandy known as Odovir Norn. His opinion gives me a diamond cutter.
    DEV DEV, give this man a bag so he can bring back the same amount of gems he would without the bag + few tinder he might find in chests on lvl 30 UW.

If you die again in the UW, you will lose your edgy +3 bag = Never say goodbye pt2: electric boogaloo confirmed.

On a more serious note-

You can easily fit all ten gems along with gear in your inventory. Weapon, pickaxe, armor, accessories, compass, lantern, food, then all the gems. You lose out on other drops, aloe, and potentially a shield, but that’s the cost of trying to carry it all yourself.

^This.
    Still people somehow think they need a bag.

Wolf

At the moment, the most profitable way to get gems is multiply them on altars. That makes ores with gems useless. The only solution to change that – nerf altars. But then people will need something like bags for gems even more. Just listen: a guy can carry 80k wood and 20k stones but can’t take with him 10 small gems of different colors. As it was said before, the inventory is very abstract, right to the point where it becomes absurd. “The game’s features must accent it’s difficulty, not it’s shortcomings.”

P.S. Valduk, I’m not a special. I’m just more experienced than you, lol.

Polar Bear

a guy can carry 80k wood and 20k stones but can’t take with him 10 small gems

This is a different thing. The thing on how realistic things are; i agree its strange.

P.S. Odovir. But baby you are…

Wolf

Inventory in a dungeon is not “hard”, it is tedious. Extra space is just going to prevent you from having to constantly item dump the trash, not make the collection any easier, just less tedious.

I don’t like having to drop every piece of flint and stone to keep my inventory spaces available for gems. A slight convenience is not the same as nerfing the game.

Polar Bear

Inventory in a dungeon is not “hard”, it is tedious.

qoute of the day. i know i know its out of context but hey. 🙂

Tedious…
    How about i only have to hit the tree once, the game will calculate automaticly how much hits, exp, and wood i got. I dont have to do anything. Its quite tedious to swing my axe for a minute at a tree. lol. obviously im joking but this is it.

Limitations…
    Bringing gems, bars, silver, items and what not from the dungeon is limited to your inventory space luck and skill. They exsist so the game controls what and how much you bring out of the dungeon. Nothing tedious there. Just limitations. People tend to dislike limitations, but without them you would not have a proper game. If you had infinite inventory space you would only need to build a 1×1 base with layers. Everything you see in the game is all about limitations and not just this game, even chicken have a limited life. i bet some of you dont want chicken to despawn after 3 days. Limitations make the game for what it is. Limitations define the game e.g. this game has no guns so its not a shooter. This game is limited to 2d and has sprites instead of models.

if you manipulate the ingame limitations you get following results:
    >the game is easier
    >the game is harder
    >the game is balanced
    >the game is unplayable.
    >the game is unfair (p2w)
    >there are more but im tired :/

so what do you get if you add more inventory space… yeah the answer is simple.

umong the obvious, i dont want the game to be easy and i know there are others that also like some challenge in the games they play. im having the opinion that the game will get lighter with this, thats it.
    But what do i know, im not experienced as Odovir. haha gotta joke a little.

If this gets in and its balanced properly im totaly fine with it.

thats my honest opinion on this one. see you ingame.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘[Suggestion] A few suggestions for inventory management.’ is closed to new replies.