The Infamy/XP Update Unfairly Targets Reincarnators

Home Forums Mystera Discussion The Infamy/XP Update Unfairly Targets Reincarnators

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Derick

Lvl 148 USWest
    Goblin

As the title suggests, the new update that causes those with infamy to stop receiving xp altogether is a much nastier punishment for a reincarnator than it is for an ascender and is almost meaningless to the highest level ascenders.

Let me give an example of the effect on each type of player. A reincarnator kills someone who was griefing, trolling, or attempting to rob him. The reincarnator now has infamy and cant proceed with his carn. He can’t necessarily go to UW to buy it off if he’s early into his carn OR if he hasnt prioritized combat blues yet. He cant necessarily *afford* to buy it off anyway, as reincers tend to have a harder time collecting resources. Now he has to sit there and work it off while gaining no xp. He can’t even afk the whole time because if he misses the point where the infamy wears off and keeps training, he could easily over-level a skill and ruin his reincarnation.

Example #2: The high-level ascender gets bored and kills every tribeless member he comes into contact with. Now he has loads of infamy and doesn’t gain xp. He doesn’t really care since most of his useful stats are maxed, anyway. That movement speed sure is a pain, though.. Guess he’ll go and buy if off real quick with his stockpile of thousands of gold.

From the perspective of someone in the position of the Example #2 ascender, this update does litterally nothing to stop high levels from griefing low levels. It just makes it a much harder decision for lower levels and reincarnators to deal with their own problems.

PolarStar

Lvl 300 USEast2
    Goblin

i do dump about 700-900gold per week in alters already to remove infamy lol. simply because of how easy it is.

Derick

Lvl 148 USWest
    Goblin

On the other hand, I could see reincers abusing this to get myst without getting hunt, armor, weapon, etc xp. And in that case, it acts as an incentive for otherwise random player-killing. This wasn’t well thought out. xD

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by  Derick.
    keebo

Lvl 7 USWest
    Goblin

lmao

Seryn

Lvl 300 USEast2
    Skeleton

Would it help if infamy scaled by time played rather than character level, and you outgrew it after a while? The idea is to protect new players, right? Not to protect trolls who keep their levels low to weaponize infamy against the rest of the population.

Kind of an annoying extra layer if we have to invest in dedicated low level twinks to deal with people whose game it is to vandalize the server.

Though then I guess they’d just continuously make new characters when they were no longer protected on their old ones and it’d be even harder to keep track of who the trolls are anymore.

Seryn

Lvl 300 USEast2
    Skeleton

Not sure if that would even change anything though, since Krill and Roth have enough alts to fill a server by themselves already. Without adding a fee to character creation I’m not sure how to solve this with mechanics alone.

A one-time payment to upgrade your account to access premium buildable maps without stuff like infamy would be kind of wonderful.

Derick

Lvl 148 USWest
    Goblin

Funny story.. Right after making this post I realized that my tribemate needed a bunch of myst for mastery 9 unlock for the blue he’s working on but doesnt want to overlevel anything because its a particularly nasty skill to train… So I told him he could go kill someone and not have to worry about xp gain while he gathered myst. So, of course, he did. The guy he killed turned out to be some high level player’s alt, but after some apologies and explanation, I think it was alright. I log in 5 minutes later, not knowing any of this had happened… I end up killing the same alt cuz I can just buy off infamy and #yolo (I also didnt know it was his alt). He was pretty pissed..

Polar Bear

Now that you mentioned the ability to gain infamy in order to halt skill leveling while grinding myst, it actually is massively abuseable. I’m now fully against this unless it only halts specific progressions in skills such as destruction or assassin.

Skeleton

Stopping combat skills would be a good stop gap, but I still think the simplest fix to stop infamy being negligible is just to stop it wearing off when an auto-action is engaged. Perhaps stop combat skills from being boosted that way to, although that may be a bit harsh.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘The Infamy/XP Update Unfairly Targets Reincarnators’ is closed to new replies.