Suggestion: Gear Tracking

Home Forums Mystera Discussion Suggestion: Gear Tracking

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kaios

Lvl 233 USTexas
    Skeleton

Add the ability to track equipment and list that equipment through a command (such as /list or something) which would list the coordinates of any gear you have applied the tracking on. This could lead to some interesting game play dynamics but to me it would mostly be a quality of life feature.

The tracking could be applied through a gem enchantment (minimum 10) and lasts a certain amount of time depending on the amount of gems used. Equipment will only display that it’s being tracked and for how long the tracking will remain with the use of a scholar lens. The tracking can be removed by applying 1 of each of whatever gems are used and still follows the rules of smithing meaning the equipment could have a chance to be destroyed depending on smithing level whether you’re applying it or removing it.

The obvious dynamic gear tracking adds would be the capability for a player to track any gear to which they have applied the enchantment and once it becomes owned by another player either track it back to their base or back to the player themselves if they fail to notice and remove the enchantment. Of course it will eventually expire anyways.

If a character logs off with gear that is being tracked then it should display the coordinates the player logged out at.

This also provides some benefits in making death a little less harsh as well since you can track any of your important gear and quickly locate where you died in underworld or on the surface which becomes especially useful if someone happens upon your gear before you return to it or you die to towers/in pvp.

In my view though the larger benefit goes to tribes because they would now be able to share more valuable gear amongst tribe members and keep track of where the equipment is or who might have went to bed with the crafting gear in their inventory. Or maybe you just have too much stuff and end up misplacing important things often!

I welcome any critique or suggestions for improvement, for example perhaps there should be a limit to the amount of items that any one player can track at a time but this might also just encourage more alt use.

Derick

Lvl 95 London
    Goblin

That sounds very abusable to me, but the idea is deffinately there.

I already use a unique naming system for my important items so that if they’re “aquired” by someone and not renamed, I will eventually find them by examining everyone I see (which I do anyway) and seeing who has it. Upon which, I can “re-aquire” my items. I’ve recovered an entire raid on my shop this way before. :]

The tracking system would deffinately make this faster, but it also seems like it would give ppl more excuses to raid. Say a chais killed me while I was afk, then someone comes around and kills that chaos and I track my items back to their base. Now I’m raiding some poor kid who just happened to get a nice drop from a chaos.

Kaios

Lvl 233 USTexas
    Skeleton

Players don’t really need an excuse to raid, newbies get raided just because they have gold or something sitting inside their wood walls. Anyways if there’s something you think would be abusable then please elaborate and we can try to come up with a resolution but what you might see as abuse I most likely see as intentional side effects of such a system.

It is a sandbox game after all so if the scenario you described does happen to occur then it’s the choice of the player to raid that house or wait and ask if they are willing to return the item though either way I think the system would have served its purpose if the original gear owner ends up with their gear back regardless of the means to obtain it.

Polar Bear

Here is the side effect: I make a really good item (for example A5R5 and lot of enchant on it) and i track it. I use it, but i die in pvp and i loose it. The guy who killed me take it and rush to his base or to the tribe base or to and alt to hide it. He knows i want it back and i will try to kill him to get it back. Knowing this he decide to give the item to the alt at crossroad because i can’t kill the alt there.
    The point is: with this sistem people would use even more alts to store everything because they know they can’t hide their loot in their base unless they are in a big tribe. After the tracking expire they could sell the item or use it.

Polar Bear

I don’t think that this suggestion provides enough benefit for the difficulty of implementing and perfecting it. I also don’t like this idea in general, playing detective to find who robbed you is part of the game and there are plenty of tools available to do this. What I found especially troubling about this is your suggestion to display the coordinates that a player logged out at. This is way too much information.

Imagine logging out safely only to wake up the next day surrounded by towers because you had an item in your inventory that allowed people to track you.. even when you’re not in the game world. Not to mention that that information isn’t particularly useful since depending on where the player logged out, the game could spawn them in a completely different location when they woke up.

Wolf

Just wanted to say I like your idea. It sounds reasonably balanced, mechanically interesting, and conceivable to implement.

Concerns over abuse could be migitated by making it expensive, or making the tracking give a only a general location rather than a specific one, with higher level enchantments allowing for a more pinpointed location, but for less time. Or perhaps the more time that goes by, the less and less accurate the location becomes.

Kaios

Lvl 233 USTexas
    Skeleton

I agree with the tower issue it’s a fair point but the only other solution I thought of besides giving some general coordinates/location (ie. fishing spot finder) would be to list the gear located at <unknown> when the player logs out somewhere not in a bed but that would defeat the purpose of the system.

I think the points regarding alts are reasonable but it’s more of an issue with general alt abuse in my opinion considering any player can store all of their valuable items on an alt and log out with it at any time.

Besides the obvious pvp implications I still think this would be a very nice quality of life feature in terms of keeping track of gear upon death or within a tribe.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Suggestion: Gear Tracking’ is closed to new replies.