Mysterians deserves leak

Home Forums Mystera Discussion Mysterians deserves leak

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Goblin

It was kept within the tribe as a means of keeping it from JVH, as he would potentially have the means to break any features he didn’t like by changing client code.

The idea of it being ban-worthy or morally wrong never entered the discussion

There must be some typo there right? You didn’t actually mean that?

Goblin

Nope, that’s an accurate representation of collective ideal. Quality of life features.

Skeleton

Honestly I mostly agree with that. The running macro allows things that would be achievable by someone who played a lot, the alerts allow you to do something that you could have done just by looking at the screen, and the position saving automatizes a thing that would be easily done with pen and paper — except, I guess, for ‘hidden’ items, like the one behind walls. If I recall correctly the developer is ok with macroing.

A point could be made about things that aren’t achivable by in-game means. These are the two that come to mind:

(1) The built-in compass

(2) Seeing hidden items with the position saver (I can’t confirm that it’s possible but I guess it is: it’s a thing that I can do even without because of technical issues. Often, when I move, I see behind stone walls)

I’d prefer having no one using information non-obtainable by ordinary in-game means, but I slightly lean towards thinking that it’s upon the developer to make it impossible. After all, it’s information that the server has sent you. Anyway I might be wrong about this.

EDIT: Also, another point could be made about keeping it a secret from the developer, but this is a game with very few rules, isn’t this?

Polar Bear

There’s no way to prove that a particular player uses the extension, so bans couldn’t be reasonably issued, and I don’t personally see anything wrong with taking advantage of easy-to-use tools to read client data or call exposed client methods; in a browser environment it’s the developer’s responsibility to hide anything that shouldn’t be exposed, and because the simulation is run on the server none of this can actually change gameplay logic. The sketchiest thing in here is the compass, as it completely negates an actual item, everything else can be done manually.

The only fear was that JVH would get his hands on the source code, see what we were doing, and change the client such that those things were either not possible or much more difficult.

I slightly lean towards thinking that it’s upon the developer to make it impossible

“Never trust the client” is actually a common idea within game development. In theory, any game could be accessed with a custom client, so you create a network architecture in which the client contains the minimum amount of data to work and has a minimal amount of control over the simulation. Most developers will still punish people for that, but I think there’s a big distinction between compiled clients that require substantial effort to modify and a web client that is just javascript in a browser.

Kaylovespie

Lvl 2 London
    Skeleton

Hey guys, yea we’ve been aware of the plugin and from what has been described it doesn’t seem to break any rules. JVH said it just sounds like convenience tools using information that the server already provides, not exploiting a bug to try to harm players or the game in some way. Yes it can save some players a compass slot which some would say affects game balance a little, but he said it’s not that big of a deal. Sharing this with everyone helps level the playing field anyways 🙂

When there are questions about rule breaking the safest thing is to just send us a quick message to check, trying to hide something makes it sound like rules are being broken even when they aren’t. It just adds paranoia on all sides lol.

Our main concern with 3rd party tools is that they are trustworthy and don’t contain any harmful code that negatively affects players. That isn’t something we are in charge of policing, so players have to decide for themselves if they trust plugins enough to use them. Making the code public helps a lot with that. Thanks!

I’m honored that Snowden himself has leaked these useful tools for the good of Mysterans XD Though I’m not sure where ‘Ivanka’ Trump enters the picture lol ^_~

Anyways PATCH HYPE, it’s sooon!! cya later.. *bans myself for derailing thread*

Polar Bear

Now that it’s got the OK, I’m not planning on doing any more development on this, so neither the git repository nor the google doc will be opened to other contributors. People are welcome to fork the repo themselves and copy the doc however, and if anyone has questions about how the current version works I’m happy to answer them.

RobinHood

Lvl 95 USEast
    Polar Bear

Nope, that’s an accurate representation of collective ideal. Quality of life features.

Cool. It’s good to know there is uniformity in Frost Legion’s ideals of hiding sensitive information from the developer in fear that he might change the game as a result.

I just want to be clear that I don’t question the legitimacy or usefulness of this extension, only the integrity of the people who developed and supported it. I mean between hiding this, the secret shit starting alts, the unreported bug abuse, the unjust base sieges and kills. You guys don’t have much of a moral leg left to stand on.

I gotta say though it’s been real nice around here without Frost Legion breathing down everyone’s necks these last 3 weeks. Gonna be a real shame when the 14 riders of the apocalypse come destroy the world.

Goblin

IF Robin ++ Frost_legion
    Spew.shit

End

Anyways, gotta say that ban list is getting lighter by the day. I can’t wait to see you buddy!

Polar Bear

only the integrity of the people who developed and supported it.

Yes, how dare I want to ensure the survival of features I spent my free time building.

Polar Bear

This is tame compared to what is in circulation.

Goblin

what is in circulation?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Mysterians deserves leak’ is closed to new replies.