Is botting acceptable play?

Home Forums Mystera Discussion Is botting acceptable play?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Wolf

I’ve spent the evening observing fleet “playing” AKA botting at their base. In particular “Mochila”, “Esclavo”, and “TheriAlt”.

I’m curious as to the perspective the community has on this and whether or not it ought to be reported? I don’t want to waste the admins time if he’s already aware of botting and has no issue with it.

I recorded and uploaded a few Youtube videos that showcase the activity in question, but won’t post any links as to not give the impression I’m looking for subscribers/views.

If you want to see it yourself, just get on the SE Asia server – Fleet AKA Frost Legion seems to be going at the botting full swing.

The sad part is that any advantage fleet gleans from this will be used to mindlessly KOS other players who dont have the advantage of botting multiple alts 24/7.

Seems like a recipe for disaster.

Polar Bear

Allow me to quote the admin’s own words to you, in regards to your apparent report of our tribe.

“Before I talk about who is receiving this I want to go over the ‘one rule’ again. This is the only in-game rule on the website that gets shared and passed around so people will be well aware of it: If you find an exploit then report it, don’t abuse it. It’s common sense in any online beta. The act of finding exploits is very helpful – and in some cases I’ve even awarded diamonds for receiving specifics on reproducing them (as long as they weren’t abused). If you don’t report those specifics right away though then it is very unhelpful because it wastes my time looking through logs and trying to reproduce things on my test server. Also if you are a friend or tribemate who learns about the exploit abuse (especially if you know anything about how it’s performed) then even if you don’t use it yourself you may get a punishment just for hiding information from the developer. When in doubt send a contact form with what you know.

Some people use simple scripts to perform repeated actions or look up data provided to the client like coordinates – that is generally okay. If you start manipulating network packets or performing a certain action to exploit a bug in the server code that allows you to do something in a way you shouldn’t be able to then that obviously isn’t okay – especially if it affects balance or hurts other players. So basically feel free to find exploits but be sure to report everything about them – otherwise you will eventually be tracked whether you know it or not, and could lose a lot of progress in the future making your efforts wasted.”

You can find the above text in the February dev notes. Here’s the link to those notes: http://www.mysteralegacy.com/forums/topic/dev-notes-february/.

As you can see in the above quote and post itself, the only rule of the game is no abusing exploits. Scripting is currently allowed until you make a script that abuses exploits or manipulates network packets.

So yes, the admin has no issue with scripting in his game otherwise a certainly large portion of his community would find themselves reset.

Though I won’t bother to respond to the allegations of Frost Legion/Fleet botting, I will respond to the allegations of mindlessly KOS-ing other players. As should be fairly obvious given the length the current server has been up, we do know such thing and never have. But certainly players, such as yourself, like to play up the fact that we KOS people that are by their own call at war with us, to make it sound as if we KOS everyone who ever even bothered to breathe in the game.

So nice of you to voice your complaint and opinion on our activities but Admin’s opinion on the issue of scripting has already been voiced in his “one rule” motto for the game.

Wolf

Okay as long as it’s fine, I encourage other players to begin doing it as well, as to even the playing field.

As for the mindless KOS, I unfortunately have witnessed it myself multiple times, as have other players. And I see little issue with it – apart from the fact that exploits/botting seem to be the primary fuel giving fleet this capacity. I will admit that’s my personal complaint, but I do think it’s a reasonable one. Botting take the fun out of the game. Especially when everybody starts doing it. It also drives up server costs.

You have already responded to the allegations of Fleet/Frost Legion botting on SE Asia General Chat – You denied it wholeheartedly and mocked those who attested to it.

You’d make a good saleman Era, I’ll give you that. I’m stating the facts. I never said you KOS everyone who breathes in the game – twisted words. And I bring attention to the interesting observation in your refusal to address directly here in the forum post whether Frost has been botting. It’s obvious to those of us playing on SE Asia. You don’t need to try and deny it. Don’t contradict your attestment that the admin says it’s okay. Freely admit what we already know.

If the admin isnt interested in botting then I suppose the most I can do is encourage other players to bot up their PvP stats, as well as to farm tinder/clay/spices.

/endThread

Goblin

Tbh, I don’t get why the dev doesn’t ban people who use bots. It seems unfair for people who don’t use bots. I think players who use bots are usually players who are in a top tribe and have a very big base so people can’t spot their botting. It’s kinda absurd because they can claim like 100×100 area without nothing inside and farming mats 24/7 using alts without spending any efforts other than set up the botting program which is a pretty huge advantage over non botters imo. Most people also don’t dare to mess with them because they’re scared they would lose their progress if they do so.

Beusy

Lvl 74 London
    Turtle

Since the game is not even officially out yet. Botting alows players to get to a high level of play easier and such testing everything the game has to offer. Might be the idea behind it.
    The fact that there’s a PVP side in the game alongside the botting is the problem, due to the advantage given by it.

In development game tho. Who cares let hem have fun and hope it wont be authorized later.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by  Beusy.
    Erected

Lvl 388 Europe
    Goblin

It is acceptable and it isn’t against the game rules neither unfair, nothing is stopping you from doing it, you simply don’t want to or can’t, but that doesn’t make it unfair.
    Taking any advantage against others that isn’t against the game rules isn’t unfair in any way.

Cheers

Wolf

I like Beusy’s reasoning. In that case, I will become the botting master.

keebo

Lvl 7 USWest
    Goblin

someone should make a HowTo video on youtube so everyone can do it lol

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Is botting acceptable play?’ is closed to new replies.