In which I argue the shallowness of the tribemateship and its consequences

Home Forums Mystera Discussion In which I argue the shallowness of the tribemateship and its consequences

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Skeleton

From a mechanical perspective belonging to a tribe offers little advantage. In fact one could just share a building without sharing a tribe. Each person sharing the building could have a tribe for himself, so to get to use the better doors.

This has some political consequences.

(1) If someone from a tribe harms you, the fact that he belongs to the tribe is not sufficient grounds to claim that a retaliation against his tribemates is ‘fair’ (fair here is used in a very loose and informal sense, since this is a game). The shared ‘responsibility’ has other conditions that could coexist or not coexist with tribemateship, which I partially discussed in this old thread.

(2) The tribe membership can be a bad way to exstimate the political forces in play. A tribe could be or not be considered a united block. Also, different tribes could be as allied as if they were a single tribe. And obviously, a group of players that are not tribemates but are in affinity to each other can constitute a political force.

Skeleton

ABSTRACT: Since tribe advantages can be achieved mechanic-wise without making a formal tribe, tribe membership is not a good extimation of the political situation

SPKrylos

Lvl 54 USEast
    Polar Bear

I like tribes

Polar Bear

me too.

Goblin

Me three.

Wolf

Me four.

I get what you’re saying. Tribes in this game are, well, tribal. That’s the point in my opinion. What I would like to hear more from you is why the two latter points of yours are actual problems today, and, more importantly, how you’d attempt to solve them. Then we could have something more to discuss.

The only concern that I share mechanics-wise is your very first point made about doors. My solution to this would be a higher-tier personal door – a personal gate, perhaps?

A further question arises, though,: “Do we want tribes to have an objective advantage over individuals?”. I’m interested what are the devs’ thoughts on this, as their answer would give insight as to how they want this game to evolve, which, I assume, most of us wouldd all like to hear.

Skeleton

What I would like to hear more from you is why the two latter points of yours are actual problems today, and, more importantly, how you’d attempt to solve them.

The two points, rather than problems, are consequences of the current tribe system that I just acknowledge. I would rather address these issues now that these aren’t hot issues rather than in a heated moment. Acknowledging them has obvious political consequences, for example, that being the top tribe in itself in theory could not correspond to wielding the greatest power becasue of (2).

Goblin

It sounds more akin to you find the concept of crowd sourcing protection inconvenient, and would be happier if the public majority didn’t feel like that was an established practice.

Skeleton

I’m not sure I understand. Are you saying that I don’t like the fact that some people build defenses together?

Skeleton

Rumors got to me that tribemates can take your locks. This information gives the tribemateship more importance.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘In which I argue the shallowness of the tribemateship and its consequences’ is closed to new replies.