Experiences from a new player

Home Forums Mystera Discussion Experiences from a new player

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Penguin

Hey! I’ve been playing since maybe monday, and considering the game is under development, I thought maybe it could be useful to share my experiences as a new player. Please note that, because I’m new, there may be things I’m misunderstanding, or things I’m plain wrong about.

The newbie area
    Helpful signs, lots of things to hunt and gather, I liked it. Control scheme was a little confusing to get into; when to drop, when to use, when to action. It’s getting better now, though I still mix them up sometimes. I built my first small house after a while (it felt necessary) by going back and forth between Galebrook and the newbie area.

The main area
    I was excited to start exploring, but it feels a little underwhelming now. I found the snake pit first. Alright, cool, lots of snakes. Then I found the southern pass, not much going on there. Onto the desert area, more snakes. Then I discovered the snow area north of Galebrook, but the polar bears were too strong. I finally went west of the crossroads, despite the warning on the statue, and found skeletons, but they were also too strong. So I could only hunt snakes? Well that was disappointing, after being used to the large variety of enemies in the newbie area. Where are all the creatures? Once in a while, a rat or raccoon shows up in Galebrook, and that’s it. No chickens, no turtles, no cows, nothing. Only snakes. I did find a single respawning sheep though. Am I missing something?

Another issue is trees. I’ve found one semi-respawning tree north of the market, and a couple random ones in Galebrook but those are rare. It seems like you must plant your own if you want wood. Stones are everywhere though. And snakes don’t seem to drop bones, so you won’t get any until you’re strong enough to move on.

These points makes me feel like a good strategy (for a while) is to just stay below the max level of the newbie area, where everything is easily collectable. That, or use low level alts for gathering. Either way, it doesn’t feel right.

The community
    Happy so far. Chat is helpful, the people I’ve met have been helpful and generous. I was only able to complete my house because someone just gave me silver. Another one gave me more silver, one gold, and a lantern that really came in handy recently when I got lost in the underworld level 5. Also forgiving; I accidentally murdered a fellow newbie in the middle of Galebrook with a witness, because I didn’t know how to untarget him. Mu life was spared, yay!

Overall
    I like the game and I think it has great potential. I’m looking forward to see how the game evolves from here. One thing lacking is to check info on items in your inventory, I’ve only been able to do that through the build menu. And an equipment screen would be nice in the future.

I’m also hoping the world design becomes more “open world-ish” im the future. What I mean by this, is that right now it feels like you have areas A B C D, and in order to get to D, you need to be high enough level to get from A to B, then B to C, and finally C to D. The world feels blocked off and linear, and I wish areas didn’t necessarily build upon the previous area.

Finally, I’m not sure if it’s by design or if it’s bugged, but creature AI is impossible to predict.

Long wall of text I realize now, hope it doesn’t bore you! Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some trees to plant.

Penguin

HI! Welcome to Mystera Legacy and hope you play for the time to come as it continues to update and grow,

i just wanted to note that when it comes to monster killing, the game is very Similar to a Dungeon crawl game. where we have an Infinite cave system Underground where you fight your way trying to find the staircase to the next floor or Simply bring a shovel to dig a hole through.

you have above ground then an underground, where you can build a 2nd floor to your house, followed by Deep cave where some basic Minimal monsters like Bats skeletons and snakes will spawn. further more after digging a hole through deep cave you end up in Underworld level 4, where you will have the same Monsters for the first few floors and slowly overtime encounter new ones. the monsters are very limited for now but the deeper you go, the more that spawn on the floors, and can end up being very crowded. i would highly recommend getting an escape lantern which will teleport you to the top if you happen to need to leave.

I would recommend going until a floor gets too hard, and then go up one to determine where you should be training and killing. You will encounter various objects you can interact with such as but not limited to:

Purple Recall tiles which allow you to teleport back to that saved floor at a random location whilst using a Dept recall potion

Mercy Statues which will teleport you to the Surface when interacting with them

Altars which can do a various amount of things when interacted with. some information can be located on the guide i believe about them.

Chests which contain a single item at random,

Purple chests which spawn a Chaos and teleports to the surface after about 2-3 seconds information on those can also be located on the guide.

if you have any more questions or would like to know more, i frequently check these forums and would be more than happy to answer when i can

Penguin

Thanks for the reply Core! I have been into the underworld now, I didn’t know it was endless though.

It’s confusing as a new player though, that the game suddenly becomes a dungeon crawler. Not to mention that bats aren’t that easy when you first get there, so chances are you’ll still be stuck with snakes. I hope the overworld will continue to develop.

Wolf

Another tip regarding fighting monsters is to use Spears to kite enemies in the earlier levels. Spears have 2 range so you can target an enemy, walk circles around them and take very little damage.

About resources, you’ll find plenty of trees and all the animals if you walk around the grass section of Galebrook. Yes, it’s easier to hunt chickens and sheep in newbie village at first. But eventually you can build farms for them in Galebrook.

Also keep in mind that fighting isn’t the only way to get stronger. You can gain overall experience levels by just grinding other skills such as farming, foraging, chopping, etc., and leveling up allows you to wear stronger equipment.

Malific

Lvl 60 London
    Polar Bear

such a cute post.

I built a game like this once, and probably produced more map content in a week than they have here, i guess they are focusing on the programming side at this point, as more map with the same refresh and clean up lag spikes would make it all a lot worse.

If they stopped snakes and hornets being hostile then there would be a lot less mob made trash in the world but you know..

the game is simple, and in early stages, but i too hope they add in a bunch of noob caves, wolves, bats would be 2 decent noob caves like the snake 1. also make the snake one twice the size.

Message me in game if you need anything btw.

Penguin

The Dev was preparing for fact he was having a Kid mate, now the child is born he has way more important things to focus on

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Experiences from a new player’ is closed to new replies.