Basic chicken farm

Home Forums Mystera Discussion Basic chicken farm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Skeleton

W = wall
    F = floor
    c = chicken on grass
    h = wolf or hornet on floor

WWWWWWWW
    WhFFFFFW
    WFWWWWFW
    WFWccWFW
    WFWWWWFW
    WFFFFFFW
    WWWWWWWW

Notice two chicken in the grass core and at least a wolf or hornet in the floored layer.

How this model can be improved is temporarily left as an exercise to the reader, or as a discussion topic for the thread.

Goblin

By the way, for anyone who doesn’t already know, chickens expire and die even if there is nothing present to kill them. That is also why you have more than 1 chicken in the pen in the middle, aside for spawn rate purposes.

This holds true for the hornet or wolf in the pen as well, and they will need to be periodically replaced, as nothing spawns them in the pen like the chickens.

RobinHood

Lvl 95 USEast
    Polar Bear

When are you guys gonna learn that chicken farms are bad for the community and for resource generation!? For a chicken to spawn, a chicken must die, remember that rule!

Here’s a simple free-range design that is much more efficient:

WWWWWW
    WCCCCW
    WWWWWW

It lasts forever, anyone can access the spawned chickens for feathers, and the builder doesn’t matter. Here is where it gets interesting:

We use the chicken spawning rules to systematically spawn all of the chickens into a localized area, boxing them up so they can ship out more chickens in this specific area. It’s a community effort as personal farms will need to be destroyed and public houses will need to be built. Repairs will need to be made and initially chickens will need to wrangled.

Here is my vision for a final product

C C C C C C C C C C C C C
    WWWWW C C C C C C WWWWW C C
    C WCCCCW C C C WWWWW C C C WCCCCW C
    WWWWW C C CWCCCCW C C CC WWWWW C C
    C C C C C C WWWWW C WWWWW C C C C
    C C C WWWWW C C C WCCCCW C C C C
    C C C WCCCCW C C C C WWWWW WWWWW
    WWWWW C C WWWWW C C C C C C CWCCCCW C
    WCCCCW C C C C C C C C C C WWWWW
    WWWWW C C C C C WWWWW C C C C C C
    C C C C C C WCCCCW C C C C C C
    C C C C C C WWWWW C C C C C C

LOOK AT ALL OF THOSE CHICKENS!!

Someone can just swoop in and harvest 200 feathers and then leave, and the next batch is ready within minutes! Shit nothing is lining up.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by  RobinHood.

Skeleton

Rendering:

C C C C C C C C C C C C C
    WWWWW C C C C C C WWWWW C C
    C WCCCCW C C C WWWWW C C C WCCCCW C
    WWWWW C C CWCCCCW C C CC WWWWW C C
    C C C C C C WWWWW C WWWWW C C C C
    C C C WWWWW C C C WCCCCW C C C C
    C C C WCCCCW C C C C WWWWW WWWWW
    WWWWW C C WWWWW C C C C C C CWCCCCW C
    WCCCCW C C C C C C C C C C WWWWW
    WWWWW C C C C C WWWWW C C C C C C
    C C C C C C WCCCCW C C C C C C
    C C C C C C WWWWW C C C C C C

Skeleton

I don’t really understand your design, but yeah, the idea seems very good. I tried something similar in a place that I called The Big Deal — it was attached to the north-eastern building on Central Crossrodas — but I didn’t put much effort in it.

I approve of a communal chicken farm, and I also propose a militia to destroy other farms in the same spawn zone. I enlist.

Skeleton

I mean we could also just talk about that.

Goblin

If we’re going to talk about a communal project, I just want to point out that the next step (going too far, in my opinion) is to just create a large chicken farm with animal gates for walls. It provides the same benefits of Robin’s idea, which is feathers for everyone, but it provides much more due to it dropping feathers onto tiles while people aren’t collecting.

That said, I don’t think either Robin’s nor my free feather factory-ish idea would work without being vandalized or arguments about who is collecting when.

Also, very minor note, but no chicken farm lasts forever, since when one dies, there’s a small chance of something else spawning in it’s place. This means that it does slightly matter who builds the holding pens, as they would need to replace them when something inevitably spawns and kills them.

Skeleton

Then each active tribe needs to have two pens, close to each other. With tribe doors so other any tribemate can work on that. Each pen could have 2 chicken. When a pen becomes inactive, you move a chicken in from the other one.

Do you think this could work?

RobinHood

Lvl 95 USEast
    Polar Bear

The biggest problem with chicken coops is the abysmal spawning rate, that’s why yours don’t last forever. If you don’t rely on a single dog or hornet to kill your chickens, you don’t have to worry about it dying. So let’s say you use my example, where you just have 4 chickens inside a stone wall and nothing else. A chicken dies? A chicken spawns almost immediately, because chickens in the world are dying much much quicker, and on a greater scale, and new chickens will spawn on an egg.

So why doesn’t this work with the private farms? It’s because of the same chicken spawning rule, a chicken must die for a chicken to spawn. So all the farms in the game are waiting for a single wolf or hornet to kill a single chicken so another single chicken can spawn, it’s a massive bottle neck. What can make this worse is when a killing monster dies off and doesn’t get replaced immediately.

Why are we putting up with this absurdly slow chicken spawn rate, when there are desperate people out there looking for feathers? I think everyone just adopted this idea from FL, honestly. They just wanted an easy way to farm a few feathers without allowing others to do the same, it’s a bad practice and it’s really just gonna help everyone if we reform.

Goblin

Cute. We had one single chicken farm made by captain, that spawned chickens outside a coop for about two weeks. An actual idea from FL is to go harvest 30 and alter them like we do and merry men does.

Goblin

For accuracy, I want to point out there was also a chicken coop owned by someone in FL, I forget whom exactly actually, just east of the crossroads. I know because it’s across from where I live now and was blocking Ash from moving in there while it decayed.

RobinHood

Lvl 95 USEast
    Polar Bear

It wasn’t the only one, we broke down two gigantic ones in the west too. I’m sure there were probably more than just that!

Goblin

Lol ok. Sounds like bullshit, not unlike your memory. Little Friendly was the original spammer of coops, followed briefly by others copying the design. The machiavellian story you’ve whipped up impling the world’s fualts were always us don’t hold up Josh.

Polar Bear

lol you can make a compilation of Robin and apollo lies. there is that much content. it would be a nice thread. if they are doing it now they will do it again. you might be next… lol

but forget about the blatant lies.

i remmember like it was yesterday.
    Friendly was the one who started it all and good that it did, chicken quests were annoying at that time. (that was before the spawn increse). way back when Hotel was up north. ML history. write it down on your cock. FL didint even had a chicken coop for a long time from my explorative knowledge until captain made the public one. lol. altars just werk.

since we are looking at past and counting chicken coops…
    you should look at rintililili for advice, he had so much chicken… id say 30+ chicken. more than anyone i ever saw. nobody seems to know this since he had it on a remote place near tangars castle. nobody seemed to care and why would they really unless you are an idiot. it was an amazing sight to see, a real farm full of chicken cows and sheep. i wish i had a SS. i know this since he helped me with the chicken quests. still the chicken were spawning normally even with that amount.

also there were so much coops on the south of the center of map, as well as west, east of my base was two coops… i mean… and still chicken were spawning good in my small coop.

public farms are a nice utopian idea but they will never be as stable as a personal one.

Wolf

Valduk tries so hard to convince himself that he is not living in a delusion.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Basic chicken farm’ is closed to new replies.