A brief introduction to weapons

Home Forums Mystera Discussion A brief introduction to weapons

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Skeleton

A brief introduction to weapons

TOOL WEAPONS

Axe and Pickaxe

They don’t have special features other than helping with, respectively, chopping and mining. It’s worth noting that the bronze axe is the weapon with the best base attack.

CLOSE-RANGE WEAPONS

I call simple weapons those that only hit at a distance of 1, and are not tools. For PVP you will have a lot of trouble if the opponent is faster than you. Also, when figthing monsters with these weapons, they will damage you as well. They are:

Dagger

Very high damage per second. Less effective against armor.

Club and Mace

Ignore armor. Club and mace count as the same type of weapon (the use of both is based on the clubbing skill).

Sword

Hits in front of you and sideways. Be careful because it can hit allies and your own walls.
    When exploring the dungeon you don’t want to get cornered by monsters, but in case it happens, the sword can be a life saver.

MID-RANGE WEAPONS

Useful because they can hit most monsters at a distance such that they don’t hit you.

Hammer

Hits in a T shape in front of you. Be careful because it can hit allies and your own walls.

Spear

Attacks up to a distance of 2, but won’t attack unintended targets.

BOWS

The bows allow you to attack visible targets. They won’t hit through player-built walls. They will hit through dungeon walls, though. Very useful in both PVP and dungeoneering, but you have to craft a lot of feathers.

FINAL TIPS

I suggest either the spear or the hammer as your first weapon. I think that a few people are training the hammer skill on the server, and I am amongst them. Kiting sideways with the hammer is probably an unexplored technique; I think I’m not as good a fighter as to explore it myself. The sword and the hammer are antisocial weapons since they can hit allies and your own walls; probably, the hammer is more antisocial than the sword. Weapons that hit multiple targets (hammer and sword) in theory can be trained faster, since if you actually hit multiple targets you should get more experience. The fancy-ranged weapons (sword, hammer and spear) allow you to break your own doors. In PVP, being faster than the opponent is very important. If you expect PVP bring weapons of different range: a bow, a fancy-range weapon and a simple weapon. Even if the opponent is faster, he could chose to fight at a closer range if he expects to deal better damage, in which case you might want to swith to closed ranged weapons yourself. While dungeoneering don’t get cornered in the first place, but since it will happen, a sword can be a life saver. Mid-ranged weapons are an obvious choice in dungeoneering; if you are with other players a hammer could prove troublesome, so the go-to weapon is the spear. Bows can dispatch dangerous enemies from a safe distance.

ABSTRACT

As your first weapon use the spear.

Skeleton

Oh, I forgot to talk about shields. If your weapons allows you to equip a shield you will have more defense and be able to parry attacks, according to your shield skill. Also you will have the benefits of having another piece of equipment on you.

Skeleton

As a defense you can choose to stay in a doorway or in an animal-gate-way. In that case the hammer will still hit you. You can test wether the sword and the spear will.

In order to test that with a sword you have to hit sideways.

Penguin

Solid post, especially for newer players such as myself.

Small formatting criqtue: Abstracts, at least in my field, go before the body of the writing. They also contain a little more than a standard TL;DR would; in this instance, maybe include why to use a spear (range, etc.).

Skeleton

They do that in my field as well. I will take that in account for the next iteration of the guide.

Skeleton

Reminder to myself: chose –> choose; simple weapons –> close ranged weapons; split description of axe and pickaxe; call club and mace only clubs; explain why the bronze axe isn’t so good as a weapon.

Goblin

I hot swap weapons as distances change, and find the axe to be the best opening weapon each time you enter a melee range. Axe->Sword->Hammer as I’m moving away for arrows

Skeleton

Surprising choice to me. What are the benefits of the axe over the dagger, the mace, or the sword?

Goblin

Didn’t you just state in the first post that Axe has the highest damage? Use axe for burst, swap to something faster afterwards I think is Julius’ point.

Goblin

Yeah, you are not penalised for swapping weapons, and don’t have to wait the long ass cooldown time in between axe swings to get that first hit off. It has another effect in pvp- people inexperienced at it often panic when they see a bigger chunk than was expected shaved off, instinctivly try moving away, freeing them up to be hit for a similarly damaging hammer strike and back into range for another axe bite. I’m excited for whoever found my combat hammer with assassin/explore/+damage on it.

Wolf

Note: having a shield equipped slows your swing speed, even when you’re gathering.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘A brief introduction to weapons’ is closed to new replies.