Suggestion: pve and pvp

Home Forums Mystera Discussion Suggestion: pve and pvp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    ion00

Lvl 74 USEast
    Wolf

Number one excuse player killers use for their actions is because “it’s part of the game”, the thing is pking hurts and hinders the game from growing and expanding.

Rather than limit their playing the game, how about we get some servers that are pure pve for people who want to enjoy the game and not deal with annoyingly violent people.

Yes wellington exists, but the mystcost is even more annoying. An entire pve server wouldn’t need a myst cost as everyone is on even ground.

I would argue that majority of players would prefer a pve server if they were given the option, and that PvP is the number one reason why anyone quits this game

MIGHTMISS42o

Lvl 115 USEast2
    Polar Bear

Community is already getting split up by wellington. I feel different type of servers would ruin the game. Infamy, Wellington, only so much the active players can take before this game loses a huge portion of the player base.

ion00

Lvl 74 USEast
    Wolf

The problem with wellington is that it’s pve, within a PvP server.

The servers are not interconnected. A separate pve server would do nothing for players who have stayed on the PvP servers. That would ruin nothing, unless you enjoy just attacking players who are not equipped for fighting other players.

I also think wellington on PvP servers should be made into a PvP space. The entire system for wellington is rediculous when separate PvP and pve servers is 10-20 times simpler with better results. The mystcost thing should be scrapped.

ion00

Lvl 74 USEast
    Wolf

As for the community being split, it’s been split for months. East1, west, and Texas have always had three very distinctly different personalities which have separated the full community into three types of players.

It ruins nothing to help players enjoy the game the way they want to enjoy the game

Goblin

I do support this suggestion one hundred percent.

Just as you can be a dedicated wow player and enjoy the game fully only on a pve server (where players can still flag themself for pvp btw – but they have to do it manually and then it is their thing), so I am quite convinced that this game – that has countless beautiful pve features – can develop for a certain type of players best on a pve server.

The current setting with a pve map is a good step in the right direction which still needs finishing:
    – usage of spell disorient should be switched off on a green map pve map)
    – pvp players should not be able to hit and kill people’s tamed dogs
    as those are the two griefing methods that are still possible in wellington, and one of them already in use. The other just a matter of time.
    (and, as a side note, we need a resurrection option for tamed dogs like you can find on any good pet system in any good game. Just like we do not start on level 1 after a griefer killed us, so should they not have a chance to destroy lots of training time invested in a dog just for their “fun”)

So these 2 updates is what comes into mind right now… but I do agree that a real pve server would give air to breath.
    Because we do need ressources, sometimes we have projects that require more building materials and we need to go to gales desert. Or we have particular plans for currency and are searching for mining stones for some extra silver or gold.. and need a chance to mine normally with a desert-density of mining stones.
    Or we would like to explore the underground pve features without having to worry that griefer 1 or 2 or 3 or 4-9 are currently camping you just waiting for a message to arrive that you are on a pvp map to get hold of you, make you pay for their “fun” with a level loss, with items that did cost your time too etc.

Polar Bear

Ok, a pve server would be awesome for casual players and for people who enjoy peaceful life. But there are some problems:
    1) are buildings raidable?
    2) how to stop griefer?
    3) would assassin skill became useless?
    4) what if someone steal your loot?
    Maybe there are more problems, those are probably the biggest.
    I can also try to answer, but i’m not sure my answers will be the best.
    1) Yes. Now the problem is: how to stop a raider? I will reply later at point 1a.
    2) Probably you can’t. How do you protect from griefer? Same as above, see point 2a.
    3) No, see point 3a.
    4) Probably there is no solution to this.
    Ok, now i will tell you what i’m thinking for the additional questions:
    1a) Infamy is the key. Towers should still give infamy and if a player is infamous he wouldn’t be safe from pvp, just like now in green maps.
    2a) This is a bit tricky. In a pve server some action should give infamy. Like removing roads tile, killing tamed dogs or animals inside a building. This can’t stop someone building a wall all around your house, and i haven’t an answer for that. There are other ways to grief people and those should be considered.
    3a) As i told above pvp is not gone. It’s harder to kill someone, but it’s not impossible. This require assassin skill.
    As addition it should be impossible for infamous players to atttack back someone. This would prevent most of the people to do “bad” actions.

I hope this post will be helpful.

ion00

Lvl 74 USEast
    Wolf

Initially I would like to see the game as is, but pve. See how that plays out. But as time goes by, here are my suggestions on changes that could fix issues.

1 two space clearance around your structures where you can destroy other structures as your own instead of one. Also structures do not take damage from players unless it’s decay is below 25%.
    2 disable spells in construction areas and tag dogs as players thus cannot be attacked. Also give players no clipping with other players, including dogs.
    3 tag mobs into two categories, animals and humanoids. Hunting affects animals (bears, sneks, etc), assassin affects humanoids (skeletons, mind flayers, etc)
    4 loot is bound to the player who killed the mob. If you voluntarily drop loot, it can be taken. It can be taken on death and overburdened because these are punishments

Paisley

Lvl 77 USTexas
    Fallen Knight

I don’t feel we need a non-pvp server. There IS such a thing as too much pvp. I’m sure every server has had a couple people who took it to a new level of horror before someone or some group finally rose up and put them down, but it’s the rising up itself that I feel motivates people towards success. The (generally false) thought that one day you will get better than that person (who is already waaay ahead of you) and singlehandedly take them to task for their infractions or the slightly more likely scenario in which you get a team of solid people who build up to deal with the issue or similar future issues – these things keep us all going. Or, even better – it always feels great when the server sets aside its issues to get rid of someone who is truly toxic, it’s a rare day, and sometimes shortlived, but it’s still a feeling that we’d miss if there was no need for collaboration. This kind of effort can also put a human face back on the people behind past conflicts and lead towards harmony (sometimes).

If pvp were gone and it was just all happy fun time building spree all the time, people would still find ways to torture each other anyway and at what cost to them? Nobody can kill them until they have no levels left , nobody can make it so they cannot rebuild somewhere else – there is NO WAY for the server to “take care of” the problem itself, and eventually it would take a chorus of people crying to admin to get it resolved. I’ve seen plenty of low level trolls that caused just as large a headache without actually killing anyone, so, while PVP is an irritant its often not the worst thing that can happen.

In all I feel the less you hand to someone for free they more they appreciate the work that goes into it and the more I feel they’ll play and contribute over the long term. Yes, some people get chased off a server for completely nonsense reasons but not all servers are like that. I do not PVP without cause because I don’t enjoy PVP, but it’s good to have it as an option when necessary.

Goblin

There are people playing this game that would like to define what is fun and what is too much fun or the wrong kind of fun for others.
    There are behaviours that people or a particular kind of players can call sadistic for valid reasons.
    There are people that defend their pk behaviour by claiming that they kill “just pixels” not realising that a) if they want to kill “just pixels”, they should stick to npc mobs and that b) yes, there are real people controling character pixels.
    (And – as a side note – not realising that if they want to shrug a pk off as just pixel, they first need to prove to us that this applies to themself too: let your main character be murdered 20 times in a row – then you can come in chat and talk about “just pixels”. For real: prove it. Your main character, prove with levels loss and items loss that you really do not care about your “just pixel”.)

I do not think that people who prefer to enjoy their very own kind of fun should be the ones defining it for others.
    They want a certain kind of hardship? They love their bit of masochism before they want to explore some sadism of their own? Fine, they can do that. Hardship all you want – with your own pixel. Do not, please, define what is fun and what is supposed to be fun – for others.

As mentioned above, this game has beautiful PVE features. It does have it for longer.

There are people who have reasons to prefer to play a game versus admin if you want, versus mobs that were coded by him, checking moves and searching for the perfect way how to beat a this or that NPC.

They might have the best reasons why they are not interested in playing this game as cannon fodder for others or as sacrifical lambs.

I am sorry that I am not available for the pk wishes of a particular group of players. I am very, very sorry. In quotation marks. Sorry. But I am not available.
    I am not available for griefing greed, not for sadistic outbursts, not for the love of some people to play this game as if it was made for destructive purposes only.

And I do think that this game would be as beautifully playable (and needed) with a PVE server as the given example of, say, wow.

I repeat. Wow on a PVE server is real, real fun.
    And it is not pvp-free. Not at all. There are raids in cities and there are ppl who join defenses then etc, lots to do.
    But there, when you flag yourself for pvp to participate in pvp, this is the moment when ppl can start hitting you. Not before.
    Here, flagging for pve or pvp has a different purpose. Because it was not coded with the idea in mind to give ppl control over whether they are hit or not. It was coded to give ppl means to stop damagin their doggos by mistake. They flag and unflag that to protect their dogs from their own accidental hits.
    But a person flagged for PVE can be hit by others regardless, a very surprising detail and I bet quite confusing for those who come here from other games.

As this is the case, I do see that need for a PVE server, one server where pve oriented ppl could take a breath. And play this game, exploring its PVE features, experiment how this farm can work or how those animals can be bred, whether ppl leave entrance to a zoo at a counter ( 🙂 would they?) or what comes on underworld level -235.

Checking if it is possible to lay an arti mosaique with tiles and how do you make a Mona Lisa with 3 colors. how detailed would it be, this pixel art?

There are so many fun things to explore and test that you can never do as it is, in a situation as it is right now, with ppl telling others that they have just to learn to live with it and to suck it up because this is a pvp game and a server has to play the rules of one player or other because otherwise “… or else!”

I do. I do see the need for a PVE server.

Or make pvp/pve flagging a real thing and standing for what it stands for in other games. Not hit-able if unflagged. Cannot hit others but also cannot be hit. With consequences for either choice and certain rules to changing the flag (like timeouts after a hit, you cannot unflag pvp after hitting someone… for a time).

Both can work – either a pvp/pve flag that deserves its name or a PVE server. But there are users of this game that might be able to support and might be able to want to support this game… when they actually can play it. Not when they are supposed to serve as cannon fodder for other peoples assassin skill or as sacrifical lambs for a sadistic user.

ion00

Lvl 74 USEast
    Wolf

@paisley
    Does Texas have very many reincarnaters? Kazul is a reincarnater and he decided to whipe my tribe off of east. Rein stars are permanent and they can just as easily kill other players at level 0. Killing people off a server just doesn’t work on people who are not stupid.

With that, PvP does not actually have a means to remove toxic players. You can try but if they are ahead of you in the game, you’ve already lost.

Sleepyhead

Lvl 97 USEast2
    Polar Bear

I disagree with the premise of your argument: “PvP is the number one reason why anyone quits this game”
    I would argue repetitiveness, time consuming (even with no skill loss from death), unrewarding and being unsociable are more likely the reasons players stop playing. PvP introduces enemies which breeds rivalries, alliances and thugs. Excitement.

ion00

Lvl 74 USEast
    Wolf

@sleepyhead
    Of the almost 6 months of me playing this game on usE1, that has rarely ever been the case. Maybe I should be more specific about this being the pattern I’ve witnessed while on the oldest server in the game.

Dropteeth

Lvl 46 SEAsia
    Turtle

People left th game because of raids, and and excessive pk even if u cant defend yourself.

Also people tends to leave when they dropped lvls because of some jerk killing for fun, also dropping hard earned stuff just to be taken away by a thug who wants to be famous by killing anybody even if that anybody is a fresh graduate from newbie village.

Wolf

I just want to give my support to the idea, well +1 to the idea and +1000 to Okapi, bloody hell you must feel much better after letting all that off your chest🤣, btw agree in all.
    It probably wont be easy, but I think it would worth the effort, a lot of us dont enjoy the pvp part of the game, or better said the abuse that few players do in some servers.
    It would be nice to see the next one only for pve players, if somebody dont like the pve idea they have plenty enough servers and they can play in any of them.

Sleepyhead

Lvl 97 USEast2
    Polar Bear

@ion00 That’s probably because victims complain and want everyone to know how unfairly they’ve been treated. People who leave the game because of reasons I’ve mentioned are very unlikely to share their story.

East is a friendly non-pvp server. If an honest player is getting abused the server will stop it. Quitting on East because of PvP is a L2P issue. Plain and simple.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Suggestion: pve and pvp’ is closed to new replies.