Infamy System and Towers

Home Forums Mystera Discussion Infamy System and Towers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Tux

Lvl 120 USEast
    Polar Bear

I was getting shot by 1 tower for about a minute or so and I racked up an infamy debuff of 101 minutes. This seems to be too high for such a short amount of time. If someone was to even break 1 wall with towers shooting at them, they would have a debuff that lasts a month or more. This needs to be scaled better cause this is going to be really bad.

If someone starts building non-walled towers everywhere, EVERYONE will start getting shot by towers and rack up long infamy debuffs. This be make people stop leaving their houses or just plain quit.

This needs to be re-scaled or re-designed in some way.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by  Tux.

Polar Bear

Not only do you get a ridiculously high infamy, the amount of increased damage you take from towers because of it is insane. It doesn’t deter raiders – it makes raiding practically impossible. If we can’t kill or raid, what’s the point of it all? The PvE in the game is not engaging enough to be worth it if people are punished so harshly for any PvP related action.

Turtle

I got infamy from dying to a Chaos. Only noticed the debuff when the towers shot at me after respawning.

Wolf

Admin,

Honestly, I don’t think this is how infamy should work. The implementation is flawed.

Anything remotely PVP related is an instant death sentence.

Please rollback, and retool.

Kaylovespie

Lvl 2 London
    Skeleton

Hey guys! I know the dev is working on something new that will make raiding easier. For now he’s gonna change how the stacking works with multiple arrows, and I’m sure he’ll tweak some other numbers soon. Thanks for testing!

Penguin

I think you went the wrong way with this.

You’re trying to mechanically enforce law.

This is a sandbox so the law should be in our hands..

A bounty system would have perhaps been much better.

Players put up any resource against a players name.

Whoever kills that player can redeem the bounty.

Here is why this infamy thing is terrible.

Exposed towers always shoot you.

Tapping a wall with a tool by mistake gets you shot.

The guy soaking the arrows is not always the guy breaking the walls.

Players who defend each other might be hit with infamy just for fighting back.

Some players are assholes and should be attacked for their behavior.

People can now build huge game breaking walls and add towers. Trying to fix the landscape gets you infamy.

Removing a pesky neighbor who keeps building into your stuff. Gets you infamy.

A guy under his own tower attacks you and you attack back in defense. That’s an infamy.

This system you’re implementating is more of a crutch for negative gameplay than anything. It’s going to create more problems than it solves. This is one of those scenarios where I have to say, “if you don’t like PvP just remove it.” Because having no PvP would be better than this.

I really can’t think of a single way this infamy thing can work to better the game every instance is bad.

It might help to punish wrongdoers? But is also punishes rightdoers and bystanders.

It’s my professional opinion as a guy who’s played way too many hours of online games that you roll the system back and think on it for a while.

Wolf

First I want to say how thrilled I was to find Mystera recently because like our ADMIN I was a WURMER. WURM is everywhere in Mystera. In today’s age of pay2win and themeparker devs our ADMIN is a Saint to create such a game. A true sandbox. Where we the players govern ourselves. He is attentive, active and obviously doesn’t sleep much. I became a supporter immediately. I lvled to 60 in a week,have begun reincarnating and was lucky enough to be invited to a great guild. With ZERO player deaths. So much for new players being griefed. Correction.. New players aren’t griefed if they don’t behave like entitled children to grief and run amok out of newbie land killing people in their sleep and trolling bchat.

Now the bad news. This infamy patch in its entirety is abhorrent. There is not one single item within it that preserves the sandbox. That sandbox being that we the players govern our own communities or to decide to war.

Pull the infamy update immediately, it has no place in a sandbox. Focus Dev on adding game features to enhance game.. Like removing feathers, replace them with ore smelted arrow heads.. Guild cloaks with emblems like DAOC to build sense of fellowship… Not THIS. You can’t be both themepark and sandbox I’m sorry.

Polar Bear

I think infamy system is not that bad, but it is broken right now.
    I give some ideas to improve it:
    _ killing player with level gap lower than 10 don’t give infamy
    _ if i kill a player who attacked me first, i don’t gain infamy (to prevent new player attacking high level that can’t fight back)
    _ tower give infamy only after 5 arrows (if i hit a wall as a mistake i don’t gain infamy)
    _ tower given infamy should be lower
    _ spawning in the underworld is not a good idea, probably it means another death (if i dropped my weapon)

Hope my suggestions help.

Polar Bear

That sandbox being that we the players govern our own communities

This is a nice sounding utopia. The ugly reality is that once a single group dominates the world, and you either lick their a**, or they stomp you to dirt. And in a small world such as this, it does not take too many dedicated players to make a group that can dominate any other. And in a small world like this, there is no place to hide.

I am not saying that the new system is flawless, it will certainly be tweaked, but I am sure that it’s a move in a right direction.

Admin

Lvl 5 USWest
    Goblin

Thanks guys, fixes are definitely coming. There is always balancing following a patch, so expect everything to be smoothed out until all play styles are viable again. I had to get this whole patch out a bit early because of a couple exploits that were just discovered so please be patient as these changes take a little time.

I’m uploading patches now to reduce the debuff penalties and fix targeting for bystanders among other things. Wait for another patch later today or tomorrow and then we’ll go from there!

Kaios

Lvl 233 USTexas
    Skeleton

As BadBishop stated, there are just too many actions that can be considered both peaceful or offensive depending on the circumstances and for that reason amongst others I have to agree this infamy system wasn’t implemented in the best fashion.

It’s extremely hard to balance such a binary system which assigns an infamy value based on some unremarkable action such as getting hit by an arrow tower even through no fault of your own and attributing that as a “negative” action.

Every action a player does denies another player a potential action of their own, if you are out mining rocks and I come across the area you’re mining and I mine rocks with you I am denying you of the possible resources you could have had by mining all those rocks yourself. Not an inherently evil action but at least to someone my action could be considered negative whereas to me I am simply a peaceful miner going about my business.

To quote another game developer; There does not exist a clear divide between offensive and peaceful actions, every potential action is always offensive or every potential action is always peaceful or the distinction is meaningless, whichever one you prefer.

Also, keep in mind low level/newbie players have the least amount of investment so to give them the most amount of protection seems a bit illogical. There are many occasions where players will create a low level newbie alt in order to grief and these players must be dealt with accordingly.

At least if a bounty system were in place instead, players could make these distinctions themselves.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by  Kaios.

Polar Bear

I love that admin is working so hard to.improve game! This is my favorite game same as my wife. We have spent money as supporters and plan to continue! Thanks for making this game its awesome and we will stand by and support it as it.grows and develops!

Polar Bear

Bounty system… If I am rich enough to offer such a bounty for my offender that will be big enough to motivate potential hunters, I am probably already capable of defending myself.

Kaios

Lvl 233 USTexas
    Skeleton

Personally I don’t think a bounty system would be all that great either because it’s likely the possibility would be there for the person with the bounty’s friends to come and kill him/her in order to claim it, I was just pointing out that at least with a bounty system players have more power to control the outcome of another person’s actions compared to the current infamy system.

Polar Bear

Off-topic. Btw, hello Kaios! I am here because of your post on that other game’s forum. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Infamy System and Towers’ is closed to new replies.