Why do experience levels exist at all?

Home Forums Mystera Discussion Why do experience levels exist at all?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Penguin

The recent change to experience gained after level 50 was presumably implemented to punish players for grinding only skills with high experience rates to gain experience levels quickly. The skill most commonly used for this purpose was farming, which was also separately nerfed.

The only thing players really gained by doing this was experience levels. Players also gained farming levels and carrots but those were incidental benefits which I think most considered to be negligible. The only benefit to experience levels is max hp. No content, skills or pieces of equipment are gated behind experience levels. Experience levels are displayed to other players but they aren’t an accurate representation player strength, which is more dependent on equipment and combat skill levels.

So my question is: why is max hp handled in this way? It seems at odds with the overall design of the game. Pretty much everything you do in the game has an associated skill that determines how well you can do that one thing specifically. All other character stats are determined by a combination of equipment and specific skills for that attribute. So why does farming or destroying walls increase your max hp?

The problem of players grinding farming to power level only existed because of the arbitrary and nonsensical connection between planting carrots and gaining max hp. I believe the solution that was implemented is utterly terrible regardless of the specific formulas used. It makes gaining experience feel bad in a game where everything you do results in gaining experience. A better solution would be to sever the connection and give max hp its own skill.

Polar Bear

I don’t think it’s safe to assume the old age mechanic was implemented to combat carrot farming, it’s way overkill for that.

That said, I agree that tying hp to overall level doesn’t make thematic sense. Perhaps there could be a constitution skill that increases based on damage taken. This would also solve the problem of carrot farming, as there would no longer be any real value in leveling that way, unless you really have a hard-on for the top player spot.

Goblin

Or unless you want to roleplay as a farmer!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Why do experience levels exist at all?’ is closed to new replies.