Suggestion: Concerning PvE/PvP & Incentives over Mechanics

Home Forums Mystera Discussion Suggestion: Concerning PvE/PvP & Incentives over Mechanics

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Seryn

Lvl 300 USEast2
    Skeleton

The game is in a Catch-22 attempting to protect new players but also stuck harboring toxic ones. With a hands-of approach to moderation this cripples the communities’ ability to deal with trolls. However a laissez faire approach also backfired as there was no incentive for communities to invest in or protect new players.

I want to suggest practical ways that should incentivize players to invest in the community and its future while also allowing for the removal of mechanics that can be exploited by toxic players. The final phase of this is the removal of safe housing in both Market Square and Wellington, and the inability to log out mule alts.

However, those elements can stay in the game while the effects of these suggestions are tested. If the experiment is successful then they can be positively removed.

Another key element is the addition of rewarding PvP gameplay and objectives for those interested to compete over and obtain value from controlling, however the value of these objectives should depend on the rest of the server to thrive. Essentially you can fight, risk, and control, but the more the server thrives the more you gain from doing so.

I’ve been confounded on how to pull this off but I think I have the general idea now.

1.0 PvP Objectives & Their Value
    This suggestion is to add 100×100 buildable maps with unique resources for high level crafts branching off the farming zones like STP and SSD. So for example, a map attached to SSD could have several spawn points for a new valuable ore (mithril perhaps). A tribe could identify these spawns, fortify them, and defend their resources.

However the volume of spawns per day would depend on the health of the server at large, preferably based on a metric which could not be simply botted by a minority of persons running a bunch of alts. Imperfect example, but something like the amount of myst farmed per day, with more value towards higher level characters (accounting for reincarnators).

But it would be capped per character, so one player can’t farm a couple million myst and blow up the spawns. It would be a factor maximized by a healthy-sized thriving community playing the game well. There may be a better metric for this than myst, this is just an example. The idea being that a thriving community will maximize the rare resource spawns.

This also gives PvP-oriented players goals and basically just a reason to exist with something to do that presently Mystera lacks. There will be several of these maps so there’s incentive to control as many as you can, but also spreading yourself too thin makes you vulnerable to other tribes besieging your control of the maps. Frankly everybody wins.

1.1: Possible Necessity of PvP Rebalancing
    I don’t know much about PvP but just to address the fact, there may be rebalancing necessary so that a single player can’t lock down tons of resources, or that one person with alts can’t pose a drastic threat to any fortification. We don’t need to incentivize huge tribes, but these maps should ideally incentivize players to group together to a reasonable degree.

Other people can lend more info to this area, it’s possible it’s fine as it is I’m not sure.

2.0 Server Health & New Player Retention
    The hope is that the above PvP changes will incentivize established players to welcome and protect new ones, since the more active players the more rare resources will be made available making the PvP objective maps more valuable to control. At present there’s no incentive to really do anything that’s not for you or your immediate circle of friends.

But in this case the community should be more helpful to new players, and more importantly more protective of them, since their presence adds literal value. Especially if they stay, grow, and thrive. Meanwhile players who do want to fight now have something to fight over, that isn’t just griefing or drama. They’re also incentivized to hunt trolls and griefers.

2.1 If Successful, Please Remove Safe Housing
    I realize there is significant necessity for this right now across several servers, because there’s no incentive for strong players to not prey on the weak. But it also makes dealing with destructive players impossible. Please implement these and other incentives towards building better communities, while also making everyone open to reciprocity for their actions.

3.0 Ideas for Other Incentives
    Incentives needn’t be all raw materials. There could be bonuses to living in the PvP maps like increased xp/myst overall if your tribe controls one, passive earning of Angel Dust without death/reincarnation, etc.; in these cases perhaps 5 obelisks or other objectives could be placed around the map requiring protection and control awards your tribe buffs.

However in all cases the value earned should be proportional to how well the server community is thriving in general, otherwise the incentives obviously fall apart completely.

4.0 Conclusion
    Please consider these ideas, I would be really interested in a game with these sorts of incentives and persistent endgame competition between tribes that nevertheless incentivizes the health of the server community as a whole. It makes toxic players everyone’s enemy, productive players everyone’s ally, AND promotes fun competition instead of negativity at high levels.

The Objective Maps could also feature impassible terrain elements, but also an unbuildable stretch of land on the entrance side (like around 10 blocks or so). There should be enough open space to require a significant investment in defenses however, so wider gaps instead of singular narrow choke points as a rule. With complete map control requiring significant resources.

Super rough example map (featuring obelisks, impassible terrain, and resource areas):

Thank you for reading.

I hope I haven’t just wasted months of trying to work this out.

Antares

Lvl 73 USWest
    Wolf

This is definitely an interesting idea, concerning the whole PvP vs PvE problem. While it does seem like it will require a lot of work by the Dev to accomplish, I believe that if the incentives were made well enough it could definitely prove to be an update that could give players more to do… while also creating a better balance between PvP and PvE players. Hopefully this idea can be considered as a possible future update. It certainly has potential if implemented correctly.

Seryn

Lvl 300 USEast2
    Skeleton

Removed:

It could even be made that if you are a member of a tribe controlling a map your game activities don’t contribute to this metric, to keep the power balance in check.

… as I don’t think this consideration should be a factor in tribe recruitment. If you want to recruit someone you should be able to without it hurting your tribe, that’s weird.

However it’d also be important to balance this somehow so one massive tribe doesn’t hold everything and be unstoppable, so perhaps the number of obelisks you control could induce a scaling PvP debuff while you are in PvP Objective zones. Nothing gigantic, but enough so that no one tribe could hold every zone.

The tribe buffs for zone control could also be tied to specific obelisks.

Seryn

Lvl 300 USEast2
    Skeleton

It would also probably be necessary that the crafts made with the rare materials from PvP Objective maps not lend that much more power in PvP. Otherwise you end up with the tribes holding the zones having too much of an advantage over anyone else trying to take it from them, etc.

Yeeticus

Lvl 160 USEast2
    Turtle

+1, this will make it so that player co-operation is encouraged and help create a less toxic community while also giving end game content for PvP-players.

jadenyu

Lvl 106 SEAsia
    Wolf

Change the wlgtn to supporter only can build there which is bcome supporter only benifit to enjoy raid free.since the dev wanna protect pve player why not making it like this.and i do belive not hard to farm that amount of gold to buy in game supporter with other player.This is encouraging those pve player dont be so lazy.Ask them farm more .and maybe can make wlgtn smaller with dias only rental .which is for every build you own in wlgtn will be charge 1 more dias as usual will auto deduct when u as supporter.So they will be more less abuse of alt in wlgtn.I agree with strong should hunt weak.But since weak did not contribute anything great to the game .No point they can enjoy free raid in wlgtn .As the exp penalty in wlgtm like no feel .The ori intention is to protect new player.But if old player spam raid and lives in wlgtn with own alt.That is not fair lmao.The wlgtn really need to rework tbh.sry for RIP english n grammar.tgx.good luck have fun 🙂

Penguin

Jaden, that sounds like a horrible idea. Way to give the whales something no one else has.

WarriorJay

Lvl 11 USEast2
    Polar Bear

I think that this is a great idea. However it would do better to balance the farm zones you want to be added. First off, the strong players would probably monopolize the areas which may lead to more and more deathes. The pvp would be moved away but might get worse with mass murderers and murder tribes. Also I feel like safehousing is a good idea and shouldn’t be removed.Its the whole purpose of my and wellington. Would you want your goods to be stolen after you payed rent and managed to snatch the space for yourself? Also Wellington is almost never used by high pvls as a means of safe housing. The Myst cost keeps it balanced so only new players can really use the town effectively. Also if you have infamy you can be killed in any safezones so that helps newbies frow before moving to Galesbrook. I think the rest of your ideas are great though.

jadenyu

Lvl 106 SEAsia
    Wolf

Wlgtn good for newbie (alt)but is bad when high pk/raider raid in gale and safe living gale newbie (alt)house.So i dont even see any good point let it as free rent for player .it at least increase it rent such as every week must pay how many myst else it cant be repaired.And lastlt it should not be green area where have some kiddo like to thrash talk and live in wlgtn.thx.rip grammar and english.sry

Penguin

WarriorJay and Jaden, the problem with Wellington is that people can make as many alts as they want and are free to set up their own houses for themselves at minimal Myst cost. Wellington is as much for Raider and PvPers as for Newbies.

MIGHTMISS42o

Lvl 115 USEast2
    Polar Bear

+1 this idea is awesome. the way it stands now there’s servers that have large powerful tribes simply hunting anyone and everyone standing in market for hours. I spent a couple months fighting them and had very little help, its not currently worth thr risk for some one strong to get involved. Something like this would make it worth other tribes and top players gettting involved in the fight to promote server growth, while the strong players currently murdering mid lvls and noobs in packs would have something much greater to spend there time on, and a much greater need to start promoting the growth of the server rather then there assaissin exp, while at the same time promoting PvP played out the way it should be. Friendly and between players or tribes of the same tier. I’m sure the two top tribes would fight for the new “zone” with the most benefits and the mid lvl tribes just under them would go after the zones the top tribes dont have the numbers or strength for. Also if your looking for a server where even the most strongest players will welcome you with open arms and help you grow as a player, come to use2. The tribes and people really got it together there, more players come daily.

Wolf

+1 don’t doubt about doing this devs as this is what the community needs and wants. If any of y’all have other opinions about this, suggest a better idea because we’re open. 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Suggestion: Concerning PvE/PvP & Incentives over Mechanics’ is closed to new replies.