Wool?

Home Forums Mystera Discussion Wool?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Echo

Lvl 80 USWest2
    Turtle

I’d like to address the recent change that was made to sheep. Having to wait 1 hour just to get 5 wool off 1 sheep is absolutely ridiculous. I haven’t bothered to collect any wool or even attempt to raise my knitting level because of this recent patch. The 1 hour wait time needs to be removed. In my opinion this change to wool collection was a major step in the wrong direction, and it either needs to be improved ASAP or changed back to the way it was before.

Seryn

Lvl 300 USEast2
    Skeleton

To update with what we know, Kay said 2 weeks ago that this was an intentional change for all areas, but we could expect more changes. Since then it appears there have been some, like sheep can now go hungry trapped in a 1×1 square which wasn’t previously the case (but isn’t a problem, either–plus accidentally overfeeding sheep in shared/public sheep farms wouldn’t be a problem now–although sheep farms in general are broken with these shearing changes).

I’m not sure why only partial changes that’d be this detrimental were made live in advance of everything being set up, though, and I can’t see what they’re working toward with it either. The implication seems to be we should have large herds of sheep we shear once or twice a day for a lot of wool at once? But there’s a breeding cap of 8, and the range on it is pretty wide (20×20 squares at least from anecdotal testing) and sheep die too regularly and we can’t protect them properly.

So like, I’m still waiting patiently, since that’s the nature of an indie game like this and that in itself is fine, but not being able to gather any quantity of wool for two weeks in a live game is pretty crap. I don’t know why this is the state of the live servers.

Kaylovespie

Lvl 2 London
    Skeleton

You’re still getting low wool rates because your sheep are hungry ๐Ÿ™‚

The dev notes aren’t out yet and changes are still being tested, but sheep have a ‘wool rate’ now. So if you keep them well fed over a period of time they will start producing wool more rapidly.

Seryn

Lvl 300 USEast2
    Skeleton

I see… I’ll start stuffing my sheep then and timing the results, thank you.

I assume there is some reason for why this is being done the way it is, but I’d very much like to stress how unpleasant this process being done on live servers has been, instead of on a test server until it’s in a state ready for player feedback. Especially without there being any announcement or notification in advance, and we were just left to fumble into it.

Seryn

Lvl 300 USEast2
    Skeleton

Did a two hour test, I see what you mean that the rate is still being tested.

7:50 — Sheared 4 sheep and fed to 100%.
    8:05 — 2 / 1 / 1 / 2 <– Wool gained per sheep.
    8:15 — 1 / 2 / 2 / 2
    8:30 — 2 / 2 / 2 / 3
    8:50 — 4 / 4 / 4 / 5
    9:00 — 3 / 2 / 2 / 3
    9:10 — 2 / 3 / 2 / 3
    9:20 — 2 / 2 / 3 / 3
    9:30 — 3 / 3 / 2 / 3
    9:40 — 3 / 3 / 2 / 3
    9:50 — 3 / 2 / 3 / 3
    Totals: 24 / 24 / 24 / 30 = 102 wool

Fed at intervals to maintain a high fed percentage, >90-95% throughout I think.

In this test the wool regen rate was 4-5 minutes for 1 wool, to hit the old benchmarks of 400-500/hr assuming 8 sheep instead of 4 it would be better if that rate were 60-80 seconds instead (5-6 minutes for a fed sheep to regen 5 wool total to hit 400-500/hr).

I think I prefer this wool farming method over the old one if it can compete in output.

Nack

Lvl 73 USWest
    Turtle

I was gumna say.. the wait used to be longer. How about cows abd milk ratios? Is this affected as well?

xSimrick

Lvl 200 USEast2
    Goblin

Seryn, someone told me that feeding the sheep lettuce instead of tinder gives better results, maybe you could try that.

Also when you compare to the old method, do you mean: breed, shear, kill and repeat?

I understand that wool farming had to change. killing new sheep in newbie village was too easy (and feels dirty) and few people even bred their own sheep. But I kept telling everyone on the server to always carry shears and to shear wild sheep. Now that almost never gives you any wool. Could we at least change that sheep in galebrook that spawn (=are not bred) have 5 wool on them if sheared?

On the subject of wool and yarn. I thought it was crazy OP to let us spin 4 yarn per wool (very rarely 5). And it totally was for a while but now that wool isn’t as readily available it is a lot less unbalanced. Guaranteed two yarn per wool at knitting lvl 100 would have made a lot more sense and of course spinning should give a tiny, super small amount of knitting xp.

Is all of this preparation for the silk armors we were promised months ago? (Please change silk to alpacawool)

Seryn

Lvl 300 USEast2
    Skeleton

Seryn, someone told me that feeding the sheep lettuce instead of tinder gives better results, maybe you could try that.

Operation Lettuce is a go, however something weird happened.

Lettuce Test:
    5:17 — Sheared 4 sheep and fed to 100%.
    5:28 — 2 | 2 | 2 | 2 <– Fed to 100% between each shearing.
    5:39 — 3 | 3 | 3 | 3
    5:50 — 3 | 3 | 3 | 3
    6:00 — 4 | 4 | 4 | 4
    6:10 — 3 | 3 | 4 | 3
    6:17 — 2 | 3 | 2 | 2
    Totals: 17|18|18|17 = 70 wool (1hr, 4 sheep).

So a 3.33-3.50 minute regen rate per wool, where tinder before had been 4-5 minutes. So then I took an hour break and came back to test with tinder, but had to up to checking every 5 minutes because the wool was regenerating a lot faster:

Tinder Test:
    7:20 — Sheared 4 sheep and fed to 100%.
    7:25 — 3 | 4 | 3 | 3 <– Fed to 100% between each shearing.
    7:30 — 3 | 3 | 3 | 3
    7:35 — 3 | 3 | 3 | 3
    7:40 — 4 | 3 | 4 | 3
    7:45 — 3 | 4 | 3 | 3
    7:50 — 3 | 3 | 4 | 3
    7:55 — 4 | 4 | 3 | 5
    8:01 — 4 | 4 | 5 | 3
    8:05 — 3 | 3 | 2 | 3
    8:10 — 3 | 3 | 4 | 4
    8:15 — 4 | 4 | 4 | 4
    8:20 — 4 | 4 | 3 | 4
    Totals: 41|42|41|41 = 165 wool (1hr, 4 sheep).

Which brings the rate under 1.5 minutes (85-87 seconds). Honestly I think the rate might’ve been re-tuned literally between tests, but I’ll go back later with lettuce and see if it’s the same still.

Also when you compare to the old method, do you mean: breed, shear, kill and repeat?

I understand that wool farming had to change. killing new sheep in newbie village was too easy (and feels dirty) and few people even bred their own sheep.

Yeah I agree, change is welcome as long as it works.

On the subject of wool and yarn. I thought it was crazy OP to let us spin 4 yarn per wool (very rarely 5). And it totally was for a while but now that wool isnโ€™t as readily available it is a lot less unbalanced. Guaranteed two yarn per wool at knitting lvl 100 would have made a lot more sense and of course spinning should give a tiny, super small amount of knitting xp.

It was a little high but I wonder if 2:1 might be a little low. People acclimated to how harsh the wool grind has been the past 5-6 months but that’s not a state I’m happy calling normal. But I haven’t had a chance to actually sit down and knit a lot the past couple weeks so I don’t have a fixed idea of what I think about knitting leveling’s present difficulty level. I don’t just want to think about 100 either though, being able to get decent yarn from 40-80 is important.

BigDaddyCane

Lvl 115 SEAsia
    Penguin

Can you give me a little Idea about how your sheep farm is built? thanks!

Seryn

Lvl 300 USEast2
    Skeleton

Can you give me a little Idea about how your sheep farm is built? thanks!

I haven’t rebuilt for the new changes but I think something like this if you use counters.

xSimrick

Lvl 200 USEast2
    Goblin

@seryn if you have any updates from tests, i am interested in your results. I have 9 blues in knitting and very hungry needles…

and thanks for the work

Seryn

Lvl 300 USEast2
    Skeleton

I haven’t gotten around to much the last couple days, if I do before we get anything more official from the dev I’ll update. ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Wool?’ is closed to new replies.