Supporting new servers

Home Forums General Discussion Supporting new servers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Kazul

Lvl 248 USEast
    Goblin

Just wanted to throw this out there. I really love this game, so I’ve been throwing money at it like I normally do with most things I enjoy. Donated hundreds of dollars in hopes it would help the developer better improve the game.

However.. improvements have been rather disappointing lately. Just using the money to open new servers instead of fixing the servers that already need love, is a huge let down for me. I’ll no longer be supporting this kind of thing anymore. I’m sure many others aren’t happy with all these new servers either. While everyone is just rubber banding around on their current servers.

Just figured I’d put my rant out there. /backlash me all you want but this is my stance on the matter.

Wolf

you do realise the lag is partly due to the servers being to full. more servers thins out the crowd so the servers are under less stress.

PolarStar

Lvl 300 USEast2
    Goblin

you clearly don’t understand how any of this works he has the server specs small, if he upgrades current servers they can handle more players

If you are going to speak at least know what your talking about before you open your mouth lmao

tioluko

Lvl 41 USTexas
    Polar Bear

Look, regardless of how that works, I think that was still a really bad decision. Not the addition of new servers per se, more like the way it was handled among the recent updates.

What I mean, is… he could very well make entire Non-Pvp servers (aka those recent new ones) instead of “Exploitsville” (AKA: Wellington)
    And the wasted effort on it could have been placed on REAL new content/areas/enemies/fixes, etc.

In short… those new sudden servers could very well do what our Dev wanted to accomplish with Wellington (and much… MUCH BETTER).
    If you look it that way, then yes, Kazul is kinda right about his disapointment.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by  tioluko.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by  tioluko.
    Kazul

Lvl 248 USEast
    Goblin

Tioluko hit the nail right on the head. Pretty much nobody wanted wellington and yet.. here it is. Opening new non-pvp servers would have made way more sense.

As to how servers work. He could have ran server clusters like Traditional MMORPGS where heavily populated maps are hosted with better hardware and have their own server (like galebrook). And the low populated ones are clustered together and ran on lower cheaper servers. (hence the games that have load screens when switching maps) because you’re actually transferring servers.

However a game of this scale probably doesn’t even need to do all that. Just needs better server hosts in general.

The current servers already run like crap. And he’s adding more towns, for what? To house players the server can’t even support?

The coding for moving around and determining who/what is on what tile needs looked at / reworked as well. Combining that Spaghetti code with the way the server lags you just warp the hell around and rubber band all over the place.

I’m just saying.. I’m not longer supporting him, until I actually see real improvements in the game.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by  Kazul.
    PolarStar

Lvl 300 USEast2
    Goblin

I also have stopped Donating towards supporter myself due to how unplayable the game gets sometimes. I rely on getting my name color by in-game trade for the 100gold that i obtain within a few hours

Polar Bear

I think that admin rationale for Wellington is to cater to the “silent majority” that complains to him directly regarding the game being unplayable due to griefing. I figure that by stemming the outflow of new players, the game will be able to maintain a population “cap” per server organically without the need for admin to expend resources into marketing for the game. It remains to be seen if Wellington was a good use of admin’s time especially if you consider that he will be spending more time balancing the area to achieve his goals. To add another variable into this debate, if Wellington is successful in retaining new players, you are still stuck with this problem where the higher player count is causing lag, and if they are not enough supporters from this pool of players, you are provided with limited options for alleviating this lag.

Regarding the upgrade of servers, I think there is a limitation to what admin can due given his revenue streams. For a typical server, you have roughly 30-50 supporters which translates to $300-$500 in income for the server. He uses Linode’s VPS for its value but the problem he has encountered in the past is competing with other customers for the same resources. This causes random dips in computational performance which translates to unexplained lag ingame. Right now, it seems that he is dabbling with a Google Cloud Compute in the newest server with the intention of rolling it out to the other servers if the performance over there is much better for the money paid.

PolarStar

Lvl 300 USEast2
    Goblin

What about The players who dump 100$ alone for the biggest diamond purchase? I can count atleast 7 from USWest itself including me who would purchase it to resell diamonds for Ingame currency

Polar Bear

I think that admin rationale for Wellington is to cater to the “silent majority” that complains to him directly regarding the game being unplayable due to griefing.

Okay – but since he’s adding new servers so frequently, why couldn’t he make one of them a safe zone?

The answer is probably because the system Wellington is based on is rushed, poorly implemented and quite frankly not a sandbox anymore. It’s inherent flaws are evidenced by the fact that Admin has and will continue to manually remove walls used to grief players in Wellington. The game isn’t designed to accommodate a system like this. It’s a joke, really.

The other issue I am finding with this is that now that we have both Wellington and Galebrook, there isn’t the server capacity to allow enough players to fill both of them with buildings.

But it’s fine, obviously the solution to all of these issues is to roll out another server with the same problems as all the previous ones so that we can pretend they don’t exist for a week or so as everyone finds their feet in the new world.

PolarStar

Lvl 300 USEast2
    Goblin

+1 Oracle

he puts too much focus into opening new servers to realise its thinning out the population in other servers aswell

Wolf

I do agree with it shoulda been a pve server then wellington coulda been a new pvp map which is badly needed on some server like USE. yes more players would be nice but not in such a small map. if there were then every server would look like USE and the game would be shit. almost no place to build other then the underworld most rescorces blocked by buildings. which also block spawns. im sure other servers that are older are like this to.

Polar Bear

Alot of players wanted wellington I did aswell and it’s a welcome addition to any server u guys stay on ur side of the fence and we’ll do the same

Polar Bear

Don’t need special non PvP servers just need wellington in the PvP servers I haven’t. Left since I can do everything there it helps with the reincarnation aspect of the game getting people ready for PvP can get skills up to lvl 80 there so kind of protects them from the power abusers

Polar Bear

Just need our own version of uw lol

PolarStar

Lvl 300 USEast2
    Goblin

hadez [Removed by mod] you need to respond to shit in 3 posts each time? Learn to use the fucking edit button

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by  Kaylovespie. Reason: personal attack, be civil
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Supporting new servers’ is closed to new replies.