Punish the Good, Reward The Bad? NO!!!

Home Forums Mystera Discussion Punish the Good, Reward The Bad? NO!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Wolf

When I joined Mystera Legacy, it was in my search for a fun, retro-style Sandbox RPG game I could play when I was on break at work, when I had free time at home, what have you. When I started the game, I could tell there was a bit of a learning curve, but I was excited to dive headfirst into the game and learn about this fun new world that awaited me.

Fast forward through cumulative HOURS of being called a [removed by mod], told to “be black somewhere else”, and “what have blacks contributed to society?”, and being hit with Movement Speed Debuffs in Safety Zones (Crossroads, Wellington, so forth)….

And I just had it. I stopped the whole “kill them with kindness” approach, and I began responding to the vulgar, toxic remarks with PG-13 responses of my own, telling just what I thought of a community whose trolls are ruining gameplay for everybody else, what I think of the trolls *themselves*…

…and being kicked out of the Discord for doing so, while the toxic people I was responding to are still there, still spewing their hate rhetoric, still harassing players, still making snarky, venomous barbs at players who are just trying to wrap their head around how the game is played.

I love the PvE setup of Mystera Legacy. I love the handful of players I’ve met who are lucid, chill, friendly, helpful, and who have fond wishes for Mystera to evolve into a wonderful, prosperous game.

But I have to wonder, at what point are we going to stop rewarding the unkind players, the bigots, the trolls, the harassers, and when are we going to start being concerned about preserving the dwindling HEALTHY player base that is slowly being suffocated under the nastier, hateful player base?

I have screenshots I would be glad to share. You can feel free to wait until I post them, or take me at my word (and what you have observed yourself), but enough of us have been speaking in chat to show that I’m not the only one thinking that Mystera is at a crossroads, that GOOD players are quitting because they’re being run out by nasty, hateful types.

I can’t imagine that the Devs *WANT* this, but this is what is happening. So many friendly players have up and left and demolished their homes in the game and quit because they, too, are having enough.

Solutions, please! New plans, methods and solutions that don’t just involve kicking out people who’ve had enough and are finally speaking up about it!

Paisley

Lvl 77 USTexas
    Fallen Knight

fighting fire with fire just makes the fire bigger, it solves nothing. I avoid feeding trolls or paying them any more attention than absolutely necessary to get by. people think they can say anything they want to on the *internet* (not just this game) without anything coming of it, they forget that these are other human beings playing, and that’s unfortunate but you can’t get dragged down with them. And so far, nobody has come up with a solution that doesn’t involve constantly supervising and censoring anyone that steps out of line. I’m sure worse things have been said on discord in the past but they’ve been trying to clean things up there, and after reading some of the things that were said I don’t disagree with the block (nor would I disagree with them blocking anyone else behaving similarly)

I’ve seen just as many bullies quit as nice people, maybe I’m being too blasé about it but people start this game and leave and fresh people start and leave and the cycle continues, over time you get a subsection of devout trolls and a subsection of calm rational players, and some people that swing between them. If the trolls didn’t exist perhaps *some* more of the calm rational people would stay, but, if the only way to stop the trolls is absolutely censoring and monitoring the heck out of everyone, then eventually some of the calm rational people will have a bad day and get treated like a troll (i expect you maybe can relate to this) and leave too.

Each server has a different way of dealing with things. Each server has trolls and from I hear, some are absolute hellscapes for people starting the game. But there’s how many servers now? Things are chill on Texas, largely, the game is awesome, some of the people are not. Offer a solution to dealing with people being jerks without having to put everyone under a microscope constantly and maybe I’d be on board, but I don’t see it so I just brush the dirt off and walk away.

Ruth

Lvl 50 USEast
    Penguin

I cant play the game cause of Kazul and his friends. They are bad people and they get rewarded! Thats how this game goes and its no fair.

Turtle

While the trolls and bullies are pretty bad. constant monitoring and censorship would be worse. When I ran D&D games, i pretty much let things run as they ran. Players decided their own actions and i decided the world.

But I had the advantage of being able to select who i played with. My game was private. This game, Mystera Legacy, is public. No real room to personally select which players are allowed in and which are not.

The only solution I see is to alter the infamy system, but not sure how i feel about that. That too would take away some portion of freedom.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing what tweeking to the game the Developers make.

Wolf

Maybe, if we can’t erase the more toxic player base, if it’s true – and world history has shown us that it probably is – that some people are just nasty by nature and incorrigible down to their core, what we need to maybe do is acquire a system for the “Good Guys” to combine, since the “Bad Guys” seem to have already honed collaboration and teamwork down to an art.

I hate polarizing with such generalizations as “Good Guys” and “Bad Guys”, but they’re classic umbrella terms, so I’m going to use them here.

You basically have Heroes, Neutrals and Villains here, and in every PvP Community. The Heroes are making time to help the newbies, Neutrals are essentially doing their own time and deciding for themselves when it suits them to help/hinder, and the Villains are just in it to show everyone how superior/epic they are, and stepping along the heads of newbies and vet players alike in doing so.

Call it what one will, but I know what I want to do, and it’s the same thing I’ve always wanted to do in games like like this: I want to learn everything I can, I want to get strong, and I want to help others do the same!

If anyone else thinks this sounds like a great idea, please hit me up over Discord, Muse#6077. I’m not going to try and make excuses for how I reacted in the Discord, but I am hoping to collaborate with other like-minded players and see about solidifying this “subsection of good players” that I know exists on here.

PeaTearGrifn

Lvl 135 USWest
    Penguin

Paisley has a good point, tbh west is pretty chill overall, theres a few trolls, few people who randomly kill people, raging about something unfortunate that happens to you only brings down negative attention. Your attitude is very important, roll with things, learn to build a base that wont be raided by every noob w a hammer to start, dont rage on in chat, I dont have enough fingers and toes to count how many times I got killed but I just kept my head down and worked. But I’ve been around for a long time, 8 months and the biggest issue is the first time a new player has to deal with a little adversity by a bigger player like a drive by killing or your wooden hut w 0 towers is destroyed, 9.5x/10 new player rages on and on, and just paints a huge target on themselves. If you just roll with the punches, learn, grow, ignore the idiots who like taunting n racially insulting others (they dont last long, dont grow, you can outlast that grief) , things get better, you build relationships, more fun! The person who kills you today could become a really good friend tomarrow. It’s happened to me, this isnt a game for getting mad all the time if that’s your personality ML isnt right for you. Just being real, I hope you keep going though, theres really a decent community at least on West once you get to know it.

Dubbz1

Lvl 140 USWest
    Wolf

Also +1 to PeaTear

Dubbz1

Lvl 140 USWest
    Wolf

Chat problems? /bchat off
    That problem is solved.

For the “Villains” as Xarxu calls em, there’s a reason why Wellington exists. As many have said on different topics in this forum, anyone can grow stronger without having to enter a PvP zone.
    Noobville->Crossroads/Snake Pit->Wellington->Arena->Wolf Cave, and then /unstuck and go back to crossroads.

Kaios

Lvl 233 USTexas
    Skeleton

One of the issues in dealing with any player is that while a safe living zone like Wellington does protect new and peaceful players it is a double-edged sword in that it also protects the players who like to pvp and raid. It’s rather difficult to deal with someone you consider to be toxic while they are based in a zone that makes them un-raidable. The same could be said for Wolf Cave as this zone offers a safe and rather relatively lucrative place to gather myst and also mine for gems. So a choice has to be made, do you want the ability to deal with your adversaries or do you prefer the safety of zones such as Wellington and any consequences that come along with that.

Personally I share PeaTear’s sentiment in that all players should be offered the same opportunity we had which is not to have a zone like Wellington but rather to learn and build in Galebrook and experience the adversaties associated with attempting to progress in a pvp environment and I feel they will be better players for it if they choose to stick with the game and learn from their experiences whether they be mostly positive or negative.

Keep in mind your opinions may vastly differ as you progress in the game, while you may just be starting out and feel that it’s difficult to keep playing through the toxic players what you want as a result of this will certainly change later on when you become a player that is actually capable of not only defending themselves but going on the offensive as well. A great example of this would be a thread I once posted regarding the difficulty of shroomies and I saw another one pop up just recently that expressed the same things I did as well. However, since that time having become a more experienced player than when I first posted that thread I don’t find shroomies so overwhelming as I once did and would be more inclined to say that they are mostly fine in their current state.

This also somewhat relates to my feelings regarding infamy, a system which I felt was inconsequential towards me until I actually began to pvp. There are pros and cons with most any implementation and so I guess my point is be careful what you wish for, what may seem like a positive addition may not always have the best end-result for the overall longevity of the game.

Wolf

The longevity of the game only depends upon the availability of players who want to *play* said game. If the majority player base is one day PvE Players, the server won’t suffer; it will simply become something different than what it was when PvP Players ran the show.

I have met chivalrous PvPers in my day, honorable folks who kill as quickly as the rest, who raid and take the spoils of their labor, but who are respectful, who don’t taunt/jeer/heckle/ridicule/troll other players (whether strong or weak), and who simply focus on furthering the ends of their respective Faction(s)/Group(s).

I haven’t encountered any Tribes that are recruiting, and it seems you need some kind of artifact to start a Tribe of your own, so maybe future updates can involve a way for everyday people to start a Party or a Clan or something?

skyler1212

Lvl 100 USTexas
    Polar Bear

Tribe relics aren’t “artifacts” they’re pretty common items.
    There is a way for everyday people to start a tribe, it’s called getting a tribe relic.
    People tend to not take you seriously because you’re constantly wanting to change the game yet you don’t even seem to have a good understanding of it.

Turtle

As is my norm im gonna be as blunt as possible.

West is just as toxic. infact having checked other servers I would say west is one of the worst of the servers.

not tkaing servers where english isin’t the first launguage of most people (because those are the only ones i didin’t check) Bar seems to be the only tribe activly running things into the ground by activly ruining new tribes to keep it’s control over the server.

not even mentioning how it reacts to active opposition.

I am saying nothing about who they are as people because i am super biased there.

Narcissist

Lvl 59 USEast
    Goblin

West is one of the harder servers for starting out, game mechanics make it doable though. Just remember BAR and everyone else playing is a person who spends time for what they have. If you want to use your time growing to get kills on them its doable but it goes both ways.

Since you are new I highly recommend trying a few different servers and see which community you fit in best. The way the game feels and plays out in different server communities is huge.

Ps.
    /ignore the people that ruin your experience.

xSimrick

Lvl 200 USEast2
    Goblin

I agree with Kaios, recent changes like Wellington and Wolf Cave have made it so that people who are toxic and abusive can play and progress in safe zones without fearing pvp repercussions from other players. This prevents people from wanting to be “Good Guys”. Why try to hunt and kill someone for saying racist crap if they can just get easy myst in Wolf Cave? Why raid someones base and steal their stuff so they might think twice before threatening to [removed by mod] someone if they keep all their stuff and sleep in Wellington?

Safe zones mainly protect trolls and make the game a less safer place for people who do not want to PvP.

About the toxicity in the server, I think it is very low in EU. I wouldn’t say it is a big issue.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Punish the Good, Reward The Bad? NO!!!’ is closed to new replies.