Forgetting Skills and the Research Skill

Home Forums Mystera Discussion Forgetting Skills and the Research Skill

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Penguin

To me it seems rather odd that one can forget an ability directly after using it. After a rather heated discussion with the other players, it seems they agree that the mechanic doesn’t make much sense logically, but they believe it needs to remain in order for the research skill to have a purpose.

I propose to rework the research skill and remove ability forgetting in order to bring some reason back into the mixture.

A Possible rework:
    ——————
    Remove forgetting entirely, link the skill tier to ones understanding through research. Have skill knowledge be degradable through time rather than through random chance and have skill use assist in bringing the user back to his previous highest level of understanding.

The way it would work:
    ———————-
    Skill understanding at a base level would be the same power as rank 1 of the ability when learning the book. The capacity tiers would reflect the current ranks.

Successful research attempts raise your understanding capacity.
    Use of the skill raises your understanding within the capacity.
    Time spent after the skill use will slowly drain understanding (even when offline)

Overall Effect
    ————–
    This would help keep the immersion and rpg feel of the game without drastically changing a known mechanic. It would also assist in eliminating extreme RNG situations out of the players control thus enhancing the overall game play experience.

This is only one possible rework, i encourage others to provide feedback as well as their own ideas.

Penguin

Idea to keep book tiers:
    ————————
    Higher tiers of understanding require a higher tier book to be used for studying past a certain point. Degrading understanding past the tier checkpoint will result in the user needing to read that tier again. The understanding capacity will not be changed however, only the tier. If the meter entirely depletes, the skill will be entirely forgotten, requiring the user to read the initial book again.

example:
    ——-

====]====]====]====]====
    t1 t2 t3 t4 t5 and so on (the capacity should extend a bit past the final tier in order to have downtime available to the player)

The capacity bar can be filled all the way through research but the skill will remain tier 1 if the other books are not used. Falling behind a checkpoint for that tier will result in a tier downgrade. This allows players to ensure an ability isnt forgotten completely through training while also requires them to work in order to keep a higher tier.

Kaios

Lvl 233 USTexas
    Skeleton

A bit confusing but if I understood it correctly you’re suggesting that rather than losing the abilities entirely you would instead lower from say a Dash III to a Dash II when the fail state occurs which I really like the idea of.

It becomes quite tiresome losing abilities because you press them by mistake (which is extremely easy on a phone) or you press one of the terribly chosen and impossible to change hotkeys on PC either while typing or simply moving around.

It’s a great suggestion!

Penguin

I agree with this suggestion entirely. Being as books are scarce as can be right now. I lost a dash 2 this morning. Luckily ive been hoarding books since day 1 of my time on usw. Definitely need something like this to balance out the scarcity of books but also save high level players from completely losing their (example) healing rain 5 skill in the middle of a room full of say 5 shroomies 3 dire wolves 2 liches bunch of dragons and so forth. Cant possibly hope to survive something like that if there is more than 20 mobs surrounding you unless you get lucky as hell with some beast ww3 crits. Which doesnt always happen. And when there are 3+ shroomies things go south so fast no matter how strong you are. Especially if you cant get to them fast enough.

Polar Bear

I really like the idea. This is a big rework to ability sistem so it would take time and balance fix, but i hope @admin will think about it

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Forgetting Skills and the Research Skill’ is closed to new replies.