Fire Spirits need a rework

Home Forums Mystera Discussion Fire Spirits need a rework

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Wolf

I know what you’re already thinking: WHAT? Fire spirits? How could those weak little things harm you? But hear me out.

Fire Spirits are a relatively weak mob and are easy to defeat. The issue arises when they are defeated. Upon death they do two things.
    1. They cause a fiery explosion on death. This would be alright if the damage wasn’t based on a % of your health. You got 100 health? it does approx 25 damage. You got 1000 health? It does approx 250 damage. Why are we being punished by having higher hp? The fact that these things spawn so commonly makes it too dangerous for a low level mob to high level players. The fiery explosion is a cool incentive to switch up playstyles and force you to use a bow but there are situations for example in the underworld where you can not use one if they sit around corners or something. Ultimately, they should not

2. The worst part apart its death is the fire pit it drops. The fire pit at first seems like a convenient little thing to let you cook food on the go. Think about it though, as far as I know, the Fire Spirit is an uw-exclusive mob. The underworld is full of 1 tile-wide pathways and crevices. Killing a fire spirit in on of these pathways means that pathway is blocked until the fire pit burns out. Meaning if there are multiple mobs chasing you down a hallway, if a fire spirit decides to walk up the other way you have a ZERO% chance of survival.

Suggested solutions? Make the fiery explosion a flat damage value and change up the fire spirits so that they don’t spawn a fire pit on death unless they are in an open area with a 1 tile radius of empty tiles in every direction upon death.

Point #2 is definitely more important but I decided I may as well throw the first one out there too.

Wolf

you are right about fires, you cannot break them with a hammer, pour water on them, or throw snowballs at them, you can only wait for the fire to burn out. this is arguably unrealistic, but what this means is the dev is intentionally using this mechanic to create danger in the uw, as you described nicely. uw is generally easy, but many mechanics create situational danger: falling through a hole into a room of ghost blades and shroomies, spawning flayers on an altar, and now, fire spirits in a narrow hallway.
    many uw mechanics also negate the power you gain as you progress. like fire spirits, spike traps do percent based damage. scorpion poison hurts more if u have high hp. enemies that ignore armor (lich, dire, etc) negate the protection you receive from training heavy armor, so that past uw70, light, med, and heavy armor provide roughly equal protection. these mechanics keep uw challenging for new and experienced players alike.
    even when you are very strong and very careful, uw remains very risky. for the high risk, though, there are high rewards. uw grants you access to books, altars, cats, and some of the strongest gears in the game, so it is up to you to decide if diving uw is worth dealing with fire spirits as they are designed.
    (there are many ways to deal with fire spirits. bow, as you mentioned, is a good option. cast shell before killing them is another. you can also try intimidate. experiment and have fun.)

EduKrowlley

Lvl 92 Brazil
    Wolf

In my opinion, we can’t change everything we desagree on the news updates, we have to gain knowledge on how to deal with that. If you know that damage will deal a great % of your HP, simple, know how to not take that damage, it this way as good players do every day.

Wolf

Alright, I agree some mobs should stay dangerous no matter your level, but I think doing a % of health is not the answer, you guys are missing something vital.

Dealing a % of health punishes high level players for upgrading their vitality level. As you get higher, your health increases and enemies that deal a % of damage deal more damage. However, Aloe and Potions are still healing a flat health value meaning that it is detrimental to have higher health against these enemies.
    No matter what, I think mobs should get easier as you get stronger. They shouldn’t get harder or even stay the same difficulty.

EduKrowlley

Lvl 92 Brazil
    Wolf

I understand that, but you must remeber, not all monster have % damage, its a exclusive fight method of some monsters, maybe only that monster? Remeber that…

JoeeOG

Lvl 7 Europe
    Wolf

fire spirits are the only mob that really bothers me when diving, now 😛
    btw, u can break a wall to get out (this is where high mining becomes useful even for pve)
    dont rush in narrow pathways, prepare the “land” where u fight, like when approaching a unspawned floor, while mobs spawn, start creating safe exits destroying walls

Wolf

“it is detrimental to have higher health against these enemies.” TRUE. Having high hp will help you against liches and ghost blades but will make you more susceptible to fire spirits, vampires, and scorpions. This makes uw difficult and emphasizes that players need to be resourceful.

“Dealing a % of health punishes high level players for upgrading their vitality level.” TRUE IN A SENSE. Eventually, pve will become too easy and you will only die to lag or inattention. Knowing this, the % damage isn’t a punishment, but instead an essential mechanic for keeping pve challenging.

“However, Aloe and Potions are still healing a flat health value” YES, but it’s not hard to train healing to increase potion effectiveness. You can also grab a friend and grind sk/sm for hr3, hr3 restores 30% health.

“No matter what, I think mobs should get easier as you get stronger.” Not sure if I agree here. No single set of gears, skills, or stats is best for all situations. Sword and shield, for example, is strong against a group of skeletons but weak against a single vampire. You have to decide what it means to grow stronger. For me, strength has less to do with your stats and more to do with the solutions you come up with and the decisions you make.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Fire Spirits need a rework’ is closed to new replies.